Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hunters who have tree-climbing stand. what do you like and dislike about the stand. i was considering getting one for archery se

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hunters who have tree-climbing stand. what do you like and dislike about the stand. i was considering getting one for archery se

hunters who have tree-climbing stand. what do you like and dislike about the stand. i was considering getting one for archery season.

Weight vs Comfort. Most stands, especially the climbers will skimp on comfort so that you can carry them where ever you want. The problem is that most guys that are willing to hump a stand on their back for any length also are all day or at least 4-5 hours in a stand hunters. The light ones don't have good seats or wide bases. Also you need to buy the add ons like the boot clamps or something to pull up your climber.

Bottom line API or some other qaulity stand will suit your needs. don't buy the cheapest one on the market or you will be dissappointed. The Gorilla from Wally World comes to mind.

Comment

As Brad says you will probably sacrifice some comfort for a stand that is easy to carry. I like my Lone Wolf to get through heavy underbrush quietly and for long hauls. I like my Summit Viper for open areas and comfort with heavy clothes in cold weather. Sit and climbs are easier for me to use. I sometimes use a Tree Saddle for a tree not suitable for a climber. There are several past posts on this that you should check out.

Comment

They are noisy, awkward, and can only go up naked trees. Branches? No climb.

Comment

As long as you scout pre-season... take a little hand saw with and you get up some of those perfect trees with those few branches that just have to be there.

Comment

My old Lone Wolf is noisey to carry and set up. I'm in the market for a new one.

Comment

I've been hunting out of a Summit Goliath for the past 8 years. It is not too heavy to pack in and it is very comfortable. I've caught some of my best naps in it. It is also impossible to fall out of. It works very well for both gun and bow.

Comment

Beekeeper is right I have a Goliath and love the thing. I could stay in it all day from before dawn to dusk. BTW my cousin has a new API. It is a nice stand but is somewhat noisier than the Summit.
                Two or three hours is about all I can handle in any hang on stand. Just too uncomfortable.

Comment

Another question brought back a memory. I was in my Summit from 5AM until 6PM on a day that the temps didn't get above 9 degrees F. At the end of the day I was so stiff from the cold that it was extremely difficult to bend over to put the straps over my boots. and make my way down. I really didn't think I was going to make it and seriously considered lowering a rope to get down. Not long after that Summit came out with the boot stirrups - definitely use them.

Comment

I think a Lone Wolfe stand will satisfy your needs. Light, quiet, packable and comfortable.

I have put mine on and climbed within 75 yards of bedded deer and never spooked them.

Summits are nice but a the cable locking system is a pain and can be noisey if you bump your strap against the metal. I will give the nod to summit on comfort but only a slight edge. I own both brands.

Comment

thax fellas, i will check out the diff stands listed

Comment

I have a very old summit bushmaster i believe it was, has lasted me 9 season so far. Does not have the boot stirrups, but going to add them on this year. It was just a very simple stand and i could not be more pleased with its comfort and weight. Since you are planning on using it for archery hunting, i would try and get a stand that does not have a gun rest bar completly around it. I know its not ideal but sometimes you have to take a shot with your bow sitting down, and the bar will get in the way.

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Another New Upper
                            by PigHunter
                            That's a nice project! Have you tried the 6.5 Grendel and if so, what's your opinion of it?
                            Today, 02:05 PM
                          • Another New Upper
                            by DakotaMan
                            Milldawg inspired me so I finished my new 6mm AR upper as a Covid time killer project. I had made a 6mm Creedmoor with an 8 twist Bartlein barrel for...
                            Today, 12:54 PM
                          • Reply to 16 Years
                            by PigHunter
                            You're right, I'm an Agnostic. But, I've been a Christian, Sunday School teacher, and lay preacher. With an hour's prep I could probably deliver a decent...
                            Today, 02:00 PM
                          • 16 Years
                            by jhjimbo
                            So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                            Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                          • Reply to 16 Years
                            by Ontario Honker Hunter
                            Har, har, har. I need a life? Just shooting geese and pheasants doesn't constitute a life? Oops, you forgot about big bucks every year, African animals,...
                            Today, 01:58 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X