Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

finally got out and shot the .44 mag today...oh baby that thing is a tac driver!!! i think im going to put a scope on that gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finally got out and shot the .44 mag today...oh baby that thing is a tac driver!!! i think im going to put a scope on that gun

finally got out and shot the .44 mag today...oh baby that thing is a tac driver!!! i think im going to put a scope on that gun and attempt to take a deer with it this season. whats a good scope to put on a handgun? its a smith and wesson model 29 with an 8 inch barrel. the gun is already drilled and tapped for a scope.

To deal with the recoil of a M29, you better get some quality glass. I wouldn't suggest anything less than Leupold!
    On a handgun, a scope isn't so much for magnification as it is a "sight", so keep the X's low. I'd opt for something like a 1.5X, but nothing over 4X. I would think that a "variable" would really be a waste.
    Just remember, make sure it's a "Long Eye Relief" scope!

Bubba

Bubba

Comment

Forgot scratch,
      I've got a M48 (.22 WRM) with a scope. A good friend mounted it as a "freebie", scope included, for some hunting rights. He mounted a Tasco 1.5 with a "dot". Don't have a problem with the Tasco, it can handle the .22 Mag.
      BUT!
      The dot covers way too much of the target at 80 and 90 yards for my taste!
      My "suggestion" would be a fine, duplex cross hair.

Bubba

Comment

Bubba said it all.

Comment

Welcome to the club scratchgolf. Highly reccomend the Burris posi loc or a good quality red dot. The red dot will be far faster for hunting whitetail then a scope is. Michigan deer aren't gonna wait for you to find them in a pistol scope. Hammer makes a 42mm with a 3moa dot that is perfect for handguning deer. If your'e every down around Cabela's hit me up and maybe we can head over to the club and shoot some.

Comment

I have been well served with the 2.5x8 Leupold on my Redhawk.

Comment

bubba i was thinking a fixed 1.5 would serve the purpose very well. i love luepolds as well bubba, i have them on ever rifle i own. i will cough up the money for one of those every time...ive never shot that particular gun before, my dad has had if for years now. ive shot alot of different handguns before but none this accurate, i was putting bullets through the same hole at 25 yards (had it resting on a sandbag but i still thought that was great for a handgun).

hey rick, i usually find time once a year to head down to dundee and check out cabelas. ill have to take you up on that offer sometime. after listening to all your stories about these big deer you got in OH i may have to book a hunt with you after im done with school.

Comment

For scoped handgun target practice is nice, but for hunting? Because you will be shooting off rest, you will be chasing the reticules instead of obtaining proper target acquisitioning. In other words, be like a dog chasing your tail!

LEAVE THE SCOPE AT HOME!

Comment

I use a Burris 1.5x6x on my Ruger 44Mag Auto loader and a peep sight on a Marlin 44Mag lever, scopes are good when a tree stand is used but iron sights are better when walking the woods for close-up shots!

Comment

If its a tack driver with iron sights why not stick with them. The deer wont know ,and die just as fast with or with out glass as long as you do your part and put it where it needs to be. Glass on a handgun is not always that much help at times its a pain in the back side.

Comment

cooner glass will help on a handgun when you have to shoot at 50 yards... .44 mag is a 75 yard gun, 100 yard if your very good with it.

Comment

scratchgolf
                        yes I am well aware of what the .44 mag can do and i do agree with you , to a point. my 7 1/2 inch red hawk is scope less, how ever I do have two contenders with several barrels for each that go with glass and several barrels that dont have it . I am by no means knocking your decision to put glass on your handgun. Just saying that if she is a shooter with out glass you may like it better for hunting with out it. I much prefer to hunt with an un scoped handgun, but i prefer to track and still hunt, over a tree stand hunting so no glass may work better for me . good luck to you with it what ever you decide to use for sights.

Comment

point taken cooner, if i was tracking and still hunting i would probably not scope it either...however depending on where i choose to go with this gun it will be either from a barn loft or a treestand, dont plan on having to make a quick shot with the locations i will take it. i think for the scenario i depict in my head glass will work better and not hurt me.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad