Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

do button bucks lose there nubs or do they keep growing till the following shed season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do button bucks lose there nubs or do they keep growing till the following shed season

do button bucks lose there nubs or do they keep growing till the following shed season

Good question. I imagine they lose them like the big boys.

Comment

thats a good question but its hard to think that they would because sometimes they are still under the skin???

Comment

No I don't think so. I've had 2 button bucks in my backyard for the last month, and the buttons are quite visable.

Comment

Good question I would say yes they do just like the rest of the deer. Wallofsam I would say that your's didn't grow horns last year and are starting to grow this years horn. Just my unofficial oppinion.

Comment

That maybe so, but how come nobody finds little button sheds in the woods. Now if you thought normal shed hunting was hard, try finding the buttons!!! LOL

Comment

I would have to say that they keep them throughout the spring and continue growing them the following summer. Two button bucks were hit by a train near my house and still had their knubs, it was mid March. I was wondering the same thing though, whether they kept their buttons from the year before or if they shed them and it was new growth already.

Comment

It would be interesting to hear what the real answer is...anyone out there know?

Comment

I assume you are referring to the entirely hair covered buttons or "nubs" on a 6 month old buck fawn. The "nubs" or buttons are the developmental phase of the Pedicles from which the antlers will develop and be shed from in maturity. They are not shed as they are a part of the animals skull.

If the young buck should develop small hard "bone" button like antlers that break the skin, they are shed before the new set will grow in. I have seen these ocassionally on young bucks that are old (born early) for their age class.

Comment

That makes a lot of sense, thanks beekeeper.

Comment

I think they would stay on there head till next season when they then will grow to horns.

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad