Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many mineral licks should you put on a 180 acre piece of woods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many mineral licks should you put on a 180 acre piece of woods?

How many mineral licks should you put on a 180 acre piece of woods?

4 or 5 I'd break in into 40 acre tracks but you have an extra 20 so maybe 5? I don't know, at least 4. And maybe a 1 acre food plot.

Comment

I would place a mineral lick in the thickest brush you can find. The big boys will find it and prefer it over any other. Never place your stand over a lick but on a trail going in or out of the thick brush depending on if it's a morning stand or evening stand. A second lick will work but again you will want it in thick brush and place your stand between the two.

I have one lick upwind of my feeder. The deer will almost always hit the lick first then approach my feeder from upwind. It works good for me.

Comment

One more thing. I do have a second lick directly underneath my feeder. I have observed that most deer hit the lick before they browse on the corn. But if your acorns are dropping you better hit the oak trees because there is nothing that'll keep deer away from the acorns. Unless it's hot then hunt the secluded springs. Of course all this depends on the wind. And if their are in rut hunt downwind of the doe trails or between scrapes. Ain't deer huntin fun?

Comment

At least 4 or 5, but it depends on the property, how much you hunt on it and how many deer your property holds.

Comment

Agreed with buckhunter answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad