Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

a couple years ago i was hunting, and we shot this 8 pointer and it ran into a canyon type thing. we went down into the canyon,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a couple years ago i was hunting, and we shot this 8 pointer and it ran into a canyon type thing. we went down into the canyon,

a couple years ago i was hunting, and we shot this 8 pointer and it ran into a canyon type thing. we went down into the canyon, and the deer wasn't dead, but it was laying on the ground. we had waited about half an hour after the shot because i knew it was a hit. so after everything, we ended up shooting it in the neck and it died. what's the best way to deal with this situation?

well to kill it, the best way is to shoot it again but if you were bowhunting i would probably slit the throat

Comment

well to kill it, the best way is to shoot it again but if you were bowhunting i would probably slit the throat

Comment

Kill it as soon as possible. I had the same thing happen years ago on a spine shot. I thought he would die soon, but he didn't. So, I climbed out of my stand and did as you.

Comment

u shouldnt have let it sufffer that long.

Comment

nooo. what i meant was i took the shot at the deer and it ran into the canyon. i shot a coyote about 5 minutes after i shot the deer. i walked over and drug the coyote over to my tower, and went to look for the deer. it was about a half an hour after i shot the deer that i found it. i shot it right away when i found it.

Comment

let me rephrase that last sentence in my last comment so i don't confuse you. After i walked down the canyon and saw the deer wasn't dead, then i shot it in the neck.

Comment

Sounds like you did the best you could. I usually wait a half hour to an hour if I don't see or hear the deer go down to let a possible bad shot bleed and hopefully stiffen up. A lot depends on the clues given by the blood trail or other evidence. If you find evidence of a gut shot you can pull back a wait longer to avoid jumping a wounded deer. No matter what, anything but a clean kill is no fun so do your best to ensure a good first shot, wait for a good angle, don't shoot through brush, find the best rest you can, etc.

Comment

i have been lucky i have never had a deer go more than 5 yards, i have only had to shoot one twice 1 time.

Comment

If you have a smaller gun with you shoot it behind the ear. Quick painless death

Comment

in my opinion, it depends on the situation for instance, if there is no risk of injuring yourself just take a knife and slit the throat most of the time this is not a valid option as you put yourself in harms way, and if its a trophy you would want to take a second shot that would be concealable or otherwise hidden when mounted but overall i think you did what 90% of other hunters would have done in this situation

Comment

I think that you did the right thing. You finished him off as soon as you got to him and realized that he wasn't dead.

Comment

i agree with rrmont. You didn't do anything wrong.

Comment

Never can judge a situation from the outside if I am not there in person. Always try and put game animals out of their misery as quickly as possible. If you feel you did your best, then no worries.

Comment

If your first shot doesn't kill the animal then a follow up is always the best method, whether its five seconds or a few hours. Be careful slitting throats you can easily cut yourself or get kicked or stuck.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad