Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone ever heard about winchester failsafe ammo? Where to get it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone ever heard about winchester failsafe ammo? Where to get it?

Has anyone ever heard about winchester failsafe ammo? Where to get it?

Winchester no longer makes Fail safe ammo you might try to look around to see if anybody still has ammmo or bullets to reload, from what I hear its a great bullet one guy told me it retains more weight than a Barnes

Comment

Been shooting Hornady soft points from jackrabbits to moose all my life and never had single problem. All BANG"FLOP! For Mule Deer, my favorite bullet out of my 30-06 is the 130 grain Hornady Soft Point. 54 grains of IMR4064 and a Federal 210 primer drives it about 3300ish fps. It's flat shooting, hard hitting and a little less kick!!

Comment

Failsafes were great. They were the most accurate bullets out of one of my guns. The copper petals could sheer off but the claim was that helped insure penetration. Never recovered a bullet to find out. As idduckhntr said, Winchester has discontinued them. Superseded by the XP3. Only available in their high end Supreme Elite series. Probably be awhile before the bullets will be available for handloaders (probably thru Nosler).

Comment

Yeah try Midwayusa, Natchez SS, or cabelas, I don't know if you can still find it but your smaller stores will still have it in stock. Also Gunbroker.com handles a lot of ammo.

Comment

Ohh ya. I don't where to get it. Check at every local sportingoods store though.

Comment

They are very, very deadly bullets. It's a shame they don't make them anymore.

Comment

Why wouldn't Winchester still make these, with so many people, David Petzal included, wishing for them?

Comment

jbird - I am sure there were several reasons for discontinuing the Failsafe. Had to be a hard decision because of the loyal following. Just to speculate - 1.) The Failsafe was an expensive bullet to make - steel encased lead inserted into a copper bullet. 2.) Failsafe didn't expand much - was more known for its penetration. Hunters are now inundated with media on bullet expansion. 3.) With the introduction of what is perceived as a superior bullet in the XP3, the cost to carry and market two premier bullets that would compete with each other and lower volumes and increase cost. Might have been a capacity issue, too. The XP3 is actually a pretty fascinating bullet.

Comment

Failsafe was designed to expand on heavy muscles and bones from heavy game from medium to long distances (will work fine with light game at long ranges). The problem is that most people who bought this ammo were using it to hunt light game at short distances and then complaining about expansion. Nosler discontinued this round as Winchester now offers the XP3 which will expand in all size games at every distance. Too bad since I just shot 5 rounds today using 160gr FailSafe with 67gr Retumbo powder almost through the same hole with my 7WSM. I still have 45 bullets left for reload, and about 15 factory rounds from Winchester (which are too hot and lack the accuracy that my handloads have).

My advise is that if you see a box of FailSafe laying around just snatch it (pay for it though).

Comment

Agreed with jp826 answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

kind of interesting on posts for failsafes. i'm trolling the web now for data for loading .375 270 grain with Reloader 15. I'm a couple years out of date due to a family tragedy, but have a box of 50 of these bullets that, in factory ammo, shoot like a varmint load out of my rifle, and have worked well for me on deer, despite the heavy game designation on the box.

The reason that this rifle/ammo combination comes into the conversation is that I hunt deer in an area with the largest concentration of brown bear on the planet (according to the Alaska Dept of Fish and Game). Whether true or not, there are plenty of them around (like two last weekend, one with cubs, on a Juneau road system hike with friends), and they sometimes come to a shot like a dinner bell. Soooo, the .375 with premium bullets while hunting our little deer.

The thing I don't understand is the reference to light game at short ranges. Again, I carry too much rifle for 100-200 lb deer, for reasons explained above, but when shot with failsafes at 10 to 175 yds, the exit wounds on these light animals were softball size, and most just dropped, with the longest tracking job 27.4 feet (measured).

Anyway, does anyone have data for this bullet? like I mentioned, I've been out of the loop, but wow, it seems like data disappears as soon as the marketing guys and lawyers get on it..

Comment

I remember reading an article several years ago, that all "Black Talon/Failsafe" ammo was outlawed by "The Hilary" law. It is a shame that ammo, and gun ownership has been outlawed by liberal lawmakers (flawmakers)... Just one man's opinion.

Comment

I have used these rounds for 12 + years. I purchased 100 rounds for hunting with a 30-06 ruger sport M-77. Thus far I have shot four moose at varying distances from 60 to 300 yards and in all cases the animal dropped where it stood from the ballistic shock. They are unaffected by heavy bone and are in one side and out the other -- without fail. The animals I have shot with these rounds never felt a thing and I highly doubt they heard the shot. These are the rounds for heavy game, if you can find them any more. The only downfall with the round is to ensure that nothing is standing behind the creature you are aiming for as I am sure it would be a kill shot on that one as well. Best round I have ever used !!

Comment

OK, if you look real hard, you will come across them here and there. I was fortunate enough to purchase 11 dust covered boxes of, 165 grain Fail Safe Factory Ammo for my .300 WSM. The price after hagen a little, 20 bucks a box. Anyone who recalls the original price, the sticker read, $67 bucks each. LOLOLOLOLOL

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad