Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So i am looking at the leupolds for my 300. Trying to figure if i want the vx2 4x12x50 or the vx3 3.5x10x50. Vx3 is a tad more e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So i am looking at the leupolds for my 300. Trying to figure if i want the vx2 4x12x50 or the vx3 3.5x10x50. Vx3 is a tad more e

So i am looking at the leupolds for my 300. Trying to figure if i want the vx2 4x12x50 or the vx3 3.5x10x50. Vx3 is a tad more expensive and i want the long range duplex that the vx2 has. I dont know if the vx3 even comes with it. What do yall think about the vx3 in comparison to the vx2?

The VXIII is an excellent top of the line scope. It has more advanced lens coatings than the VXII and is super clear. The VXII is also super clear with excellent lens coatings. From a practical stand point both offer such clarity that I can't tell the difference! I may be my well over 40 eyes, but I am quite happy with the VXII...

Comment

I have a vx3 on my 300 mag and a vx2 on my 220 swift. I love them both. I think the long range duplex on the vx2 is nice for dogs at long range, but I dont miss it at all on my 300. I feel like both are great scopes.

Comment

I am not real sure bu I think leupold has a custom shop online to where you pick your scope and recticle. sort of expensive though

Comment

I’ve used magnifications of 9x to 18x with 40mm front and found 9x works best. Busted a many Jacks, yodel dogs, mule & whitetail deer and caribou out to 700 yards with no problem. Get to high of a magnification, all you’re going to see is heat waves! That’s one of the #1 reason I do better on the 1000 yard line with my M1A with open sights over the 300 Win Mag topped with an extraterrestrial scope!

Check out the Sightron line of scopes. Dollar for dollar, I find Sightron Scopes are the equivalent of the next model up at a much higher price.

Comment

Good point COOP. Heat waves, that is a consideration not often considered. Some years ago I was at the range and while letting my barrel cool I walked down the firing line and there was a couple of young guys with a new 7mag. They had shot awhile and were complaining that the heat of the morning was causing to much heat waves over the field out front of their scope. I normally keep my mouth shut and just observe but I told them boys you better let that barrel cool, those heat waves are coming from your barrel. And it was.

Comment

Yep and if you really want to see heat waves crank the spotting scope up. The more X's the more heat waves are magnefied. I hunted all over Alaska and made some looonnng shots with a VX III 1.75 X 5X scope on my 350 Rem. mag. Never owned a VXII All my guns have the III's.

Comment

I can't tell the difference between the two. I have 6-18 on my 308 and a 4.5-14 on my AR-10 (also 308) and I love them both. Here's another option, the custom shop will replace either reticle with a ballistic reticle for your load. If you want something super nice for one rifle that is the way to go. And they'll do it for either scope. I would definitly go with a 4.5 or higher though on a 300.

Comment

Let me rephrase that a 4 or higher since your 4-12 will be great. Don't go with a 3-9 or a 3.5-10 which is basically the same scope.

Comment

I have both and have never used either in any conditions that I could notice a difference. The VX3 is supposed to have more light transmission and be slightly clearer but I havent met anyone that could see it.

I would save the money and go with the VX2.

Comment

I use both as well. Like the others, in the field I can't tell the difference. Both are great scopes but the VX3 fit and finish is a little nicer and you pay for it. I use the 3.5 x 10 and like it on deer type shooting. For most deer hunting, I wouldn't go over 4 on the low end so that you have enough field of view to acquire running targets fast. A 4 x 12 is pretty nice too. Don't worry about hitting deer at long range. On 9x or 10x, a deer is still a pretty big target at 500 yards, yet you still have a fair field of view for quick target acquisition and you don't see all the scary shaking that is evident at 25x. By the way, with those rifles, I usually only shoot once to get the deer so I haven't really experienced the heat waves :-)

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad