Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is with all thes new muzzleloader bullets and sobots can i shoot them out of my old muzzleloader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is with all thes new muzzleloader bullets and sobots can i shoot them out of my old muzzleloader

what is with all thes new muzzleloader bullets and sobots can i shoot them out of my old muzzleloader

Depends on the twist rate of your barrel. Smoothbore, 1:60, and 1:66 won't stabilize the bullet. I doubt a 1:48 will, either. Sabot guns are typically 1:24 to 1:32.

Comment

Depends on how "old" your gun is.
      If in doubt, continue to use ball & patch!

Comment

Forgot - sabots usually give you faster speed, better aerodynamics, longer range, and better terminal performance compared to a round ball or conical.

Also, Powerbelts are almost full bore diameter. I understand that they will work with slower twist barrels but I have yet to try them. I'd exercise caution because these can be much heavier than round balls. Might be best to contact the manufacturer before shooting them.

Comment

yes

Comment

How "old" is this muzzelloader? I bet if it is an in-line you can use new saboted bullets. If it is not an in-line I would go for a ball/patch or a bore-sized bullet.

Comment

what they said

Comment

idk i have a tradtions caplock that i built out of a kit and it shoots them well enough

Comment

i have a 50 cal. bobcat and i shoot pre-lubed bullets with no plastic or patch just fine.

Comment

Yep!

Comment

Yep!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad