Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do you load a muzzle loader. and where can i buy all the stuff you need to load it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you load a muzzle loader. and where can i buy all the stuff you need to load it

how do you load a muzzle loader. and where can i buy all the stuff you need to load it

oh boy. it's really not something that anyone is going to be able to tell you in an answer column. my best bet for you is to find somebody that does know how, and have them teach you. as for the stuff you need, you might want to check a local hunting store of some kind. also, if you look on the internet you might be able to find some sources.

Comment

Read the owners manual. If you don't have one get one!

Comment

I would say go to Cabelas, Bass pro, scheels, etc., and just get a complete starter kit. They sually come with guides, instructions, and sometimes dvds, for a beginner this would be a good bet.

Comment

It depends on what brand of gun you have. I would say to go to Gander Moutain, or Cabelas.

Comment

wal mart will have everything needed - first load the powder, then put some bore butter on the wad/bullet before u put it in next, then put on your primer and shoot

Comment

buy a kit and read the manual if it didn't come with one download it off the net. It's not hard, just keep it clean and oiled they rust A LOT faster than rifles.

Comment

Depends on the type of muzzleloader you are working with. Always read and follow the directions that come with your muzzleloader. With inline guns most folks typically shoot the pellet type powders. Pyrodex and Pyrodex 777 are the most common. Don't try to knock down walls with your loads. Two pellets (typically 50 grains each) is more than enough powder for the job even though many of the guns claim 150 grains as a top load. Projectile wise you have a lot of choices. One of the most popular is the Powerbelt bullet. There are other similar designs, sabots, and even lubed lead bullets.
                Most inlines use 209 shot shell primers now, older inlines used musket caps or even #11 percussion caps. Read you manual and make sure of your priming system. The loading process is simple. Run a clean patch down the bore to remove excess oil. I like to fire 3-4 caps through the gun to help dry up oil or moisture before loading, this also helps to "foul" the barrel and enhance cold bore accuracy. Point the muzzle in a safe direction when popping caps. I like to point it at the ground, watch for blades of grass or leaves to move as the cap fires, this shows the flash channel of the muzzleloader is open. Once you have popped the caps, place the muzzle of the rifle on the ground between your feet with the muzzle leaning away from you. Drop in the pellets with the correct end down and use your rod to make sure they are seated correctly ontop of the breech plug. Take your projectile and thumb it into the bore, use your short starter to start it down the bore and finish seating it with your rod. Make sure it is seated on top of the powder. Once you have the load seated mark your ram rod to indicate the correct seating depth. This will allow you to check for a loose projectile or correct seating depth with a fouled bore (after fireing a couple of shots) in the future. Prime your fire arm per directions and you are ready to fire.

Surprisingly Wal Mart has a very complete muzzleloading department in the stores I have been in. Bass Pro, Cabela's, Sportsman's Warehouse, Gander Mountain and many local stores will have what you need.

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Recoil pads revisited
                    by Pmacc60
                    Sunday morning and I’m going through rifles because you got me thinking about this. Here is what I came up with, all are current hunting rifles and...
                    Today, 08:16 AM
                  • Recoil pads revisited
                    by dewman
                    When I was redoing the base/ring & swivel setup on the old '06 yesterday my pal sitting there with me asked if I was going to add a recoil pad. Probably...
                    Today, 07:36 AM
                  • Reply to Pelosi and the VP candidate !
                    by FirstBubba
                    As far as I'm concerned, who-(whom?)ever is selected, if Biden is elected, they will, in time, become an Obama puppet.
                    Right now, the push seems...
                    Today, 07:57 AM
                  • Pelosi and the VP candidate !
                    by bowhunter75richard
                    Pelosi states that the VP candidate is of no consequence ! Is this largely felt to be true ? In this election, I would think it to be of the utmost...
                    Today, 06:38 AM
                  • Reply to Winchester Model-12 12 Gauge Shotgun Issue
                    by FirstBubba
                    RazzRJB, I don't guess it makes much difference why it's missing. LOL! Because it isn't attached, I've had them just "fall" out unnoticed....
                    Today, 07:48 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X