Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i know this sounds stupid but how do you sight in a rifle

i know this sounds stupid but how do you sight in a rifle

you put the sights, iron or scope on a target, say a dime sized dot on a paper plate. take a shot, and see where the bullet went. if it is high and right, adjust the sights according to instructions that came with the scope, or the iron sights to move the sights down and left. Make slight adjustments, until your bullets are where you want them to be.

Comment

Not stupid at all. Using a scope or open sights?

Comment

Make the sights go where the bullets are going. This is a pretty broad question. Are you using a scope?

Comment

Do you have a good range near by? If your not sure what to do go to the range and see if there are any helpers on the firing line. If not, look around for someone who looks like they know what they're doing. They'd probably feel flattered to be asked.

Comment

yes i am useing a scope

Comment

First, you should sight in at close range. When you are sure the gun is shooting close to where you want it, shoot from a bench at 100 yds and make final adjustments

Comment

easy demonstration video from who better than Larry Potterfield.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF3LCwrN3HY&feature=channel_page

Comment

If you zero at 25 yards, you will be about dead on at 300, and only an inch or 2 high at 100 and 200.

Comment

get it bore sited at the store you bought it at then go from there.

Comment

shane, with my rifle your estimations are very close. At 100 I'd be 3 high with my handloads.

Comment

Get your scope bore sighted so it will be on paper when you first go to shoot. Then when you are out on the range shoot a 3 shot pattern to see exactly where the gun is hitting. 3 shots helps eliminate shooter error, one shot doesn't give you a very good idea where the gun is really hitting. then from there just do one shot at a time and adjust the windage and elevation as needed. Once you are happy with where the guns is shooting get out a fresh target and put one or two more shots into it to make sure. This should only take about one box of ammo max. Good luck!

Comment

with or without scope?

Comment

boomer1, there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. Here's what I've done for 20 years: Make sure your scope is mounted level and TIGHT, get a stable shooting rest (for years this was my truck hood w/ a blanket over it, now it's a small table and a gun rest) and shoot a round thru. Don't even worry about shooting the 1st round @ the target, because w/a new, or recently cleaned barrel, your 1st shot is often off target. Now, shoot 3 shots @ a target 25-30 yds. away. Make adjustments to your scope as needed (left/right, up/down). Repeat this until your dead-on @ close range. Now, back your target up to 100 yds. Shoot 3 shot's @ the bullseye, and check your target. Make fine adjustments @ this distance. If this is a deer rifle, say in the caliber range of .243-30.06, then a good rule of thumb is to sight in 2-3" high @ 100', which w/most calibers will put u almost dead on @ 150', an inch or 2 low @ 200', and 3-4" low @ 250'. So basically, you can hold dead-on the vitals and shoot from 0-250', which is where 95% of your hunting shots will be. Good luck.

Comment

not a stupid question, everybody crawls before walking,bore sight first,dead on at 25yrds-2-3in high at 100yrds-dead on again 250-300 yrds depends on cal and weight.after sighting gun in,do not clean powder out of gun, you can run dry patch if you shoot alot but no solvent on wet patch untill after hunting season.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Recoil pads revisited
                                by Pmacc60
                                Sunday morning and I’m going through rifles because you got me thinking about this. Here is what I came up with, all are current hunting rifles and...
                                Today, 08:16 AM
                              • Recoil pads revisited
                                by dewman
                                When I was redoing the base/ring & swivel setup on the old '06 yesterday my pal sitting there with me asked if I was going to add a recoil pad. Probably...
                                Today, 07:36 AM
                              • Reply to Pelosi and the VP candidate !
                                by FirstBubba
                                As far as I'm concerned, who-(whom?)ever is selected, if Biden is elected, they will, in time, become an Obama puppet.
                                Right now, the push seems...
                                Today, 07:57 AM
                              • Pelosi and the VP candidate !
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                Pelosi states that the VP candidate is of no consequence ! Is this largely felt to be true ? In this election, I would think it to be of the utmost...
                                Today, 06:38 AM
                              • Reply to Winchester Model-12 12 Gauge Shotgun Issue
                                by FirstBubba
                                RazzRJB, I don't guess it makes much difference why it's missing. LOL! Because it isn't attached, I've had them just "fall" out unnoticed....
                                Today, 07:48 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X