Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mckinneykev
    replied
    The last deer rifle I bought was a low recoil option (a Remington 700 ADL in.243.). Why??

1. With modern day ammunition, there is not a reason to feel uncomfortable with a 100 gr hunting round.

2. Every deer I shoot is less than 125 yds. Seriously, I shot 2 deer from outside of 200y, and I didn't think it was a hit until I found the deer. Since then I just don't find it to be ethical to limit out my weapons or even limit out my capabilities, which are far less. Any body else?

3. Deer size in Texas is usually less than 150 lb. For medium sized deer, this sized round will kill a deer out to 200 yds.

4. Elk?? Mule Deer?? I do not hunt elk or mule deer unless it's a hunt of a lifetime. Saying that though, coyotes and feral hogs are fun and the 243 is a great hog and varmint round.

Leave a comment:

• mattcres100
    replied
    I killed almost all my animals with a .243 all exept an oryx I use .243. it wasent a good gun choice but i shot nd brought down a cow elk with 2 well placed shots. Relly that is all that matters is propper shot placement

Leave a comment:

• dtownley
    replied
    If you are not in a hurry, this precise little 6mm will lay'em down. No doubt about it with the quality of bullets out there and shoot'em close.

Leave a comment:

• MNHUNTR
    replied
    The best caliber for white tails in open country! Quality ammunition and good shot placement are crucial, but that should be a serious concern no matter what caliber rifle you choose. So many people criticize the use of 243s because "if a bad shot is made, they just wound deer". If accuracy is your concern, spend a little more time at the range. Carrying a large caliber rifle doesn't make up for bad marksmanship. I've killed 11 deer dead in their tracks with a 243, one shot each. I've also spent countless hours tracking deer shot by others on various hunts most shot with rifles in the 30 caliber family. It's not the size of your gun it's how you use it, right?

Leave a comment:

• Labrador
    replied
    Why is it that people who hunt for sport believe they have to shoot deer in the vitals to kill them humanely? Here in Labrador we hunt caribou for subsistance and if we miss we are in the country, 400 kms from the nearest community in -40c weather with no deer to bring home to our tables, yet we have no problem making effortless one shot head and neck kills from 50-250 yards. With the price of shells,fuel and food being as high as it is in the north we take as few chances as possible when out on the land and taking a head or neck shot is always the safest, cleanest shot.

Practice makes perfect!

243 all the way!

Leave a comment:

• zulu
    replied
    If you want a dead deer,.243.If you want a dead deer + hurt shoulder,.300 win mag.Obvious choice:.243

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Leave a comment:

• brw7979
    replied
    Great deer gun. My dad has been using one for more than 30 yrs. I have one also and have used it a few times but all in all its a great deer gun. Or any other medium size game.

Leave a comment:

• Big O
    replied
    My mom just started hunting with my step-dad after his hunting buddy(brother) passed. He went out and bought a couple of .243s(matching rifle/scopes so if something went wrong he'd be able to look at the other for compairison).
    The deer they took with those rifles, as has been said else where, went "BANG/FLOP/DEAD". He used to shoot a .270 and told me " I'll never shoot that thing again cause' I'm getting to old to go looking for um' with that .243 they just drop.
    I worked for a guy in Colo. that elk hunted with one that he grew up on, never had one lost(neck shots).

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    I agree with freeborn wholeheartedly. It is a good deer rifle except for the little speedy bullet in the brush is not so good. If you are brush hunting, slower, heavier bullets will help but if you don't have to shoot through brush, the .243 is great, especially if light recoil is important to you. Regarding the damage they do, I can honestly tell you that the most severe hit I have EVER seen on a deer came from a .243 with a 90 grain spitzer. The deer was running fast at 130 yards. My buddy hit the spine midship and split the deer clean in half. The body separated and the back half stopped quickly while the front half bounced through the trees for about 20 yards. Really scary GROSS! By the way, I must tell you that after I got my 25-06, I never shot the .243 again.

Leave a comment:

• deerslayer2
    replied
    I'm with huntandtrap09.You have to wait for the perfect shot.My grandfather shot a deer with one;We found it dead 4 days later with a lung shot hole.If he would have had the 270. he has now,we would have had a fiest and not the buzzards!P.s,I use a 30-06.

Leave a comment:

• jbird
    replied
    A .243 is excellent for deer. I've shot many w/it, currently have one as a backup deer rifle, and my 11 year old daughter had dropped 2 bucks w/ her youth model. I prefer 100gr. bullets for deer myself.

Leave a comment:

• PotterMan96
    replied
    My best friend killed a deer down in West Virginia with a .243 and when he went to gut it there wasnt a heart in it the .243 blew out the heart. But all around a good gun.

Leave a comment:

• Golfing Sportsman
    replied
    A 243 in the vitals will kill faster and cleaner than a 30-378 wby in the guts everyday.

Leave a comment:

• RackAttack68
    replied
    great i love my 243 i kill deer and coyotes with it

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad