No announcement yet.

how do you fill abought a 243 for deer hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have an old Sako .243 that has killed over forty head of various kinds of deer plus antelope. Most were one shot kills and I made some of them. I have loaned this rifle to young people who had never killed an animal and to first time adult hunters. I honestly believe that every one of them returned with a big smile on their face and a good to exceptional buck. Shot placement and bullet selection is the key to success with this cartridge. Some folks talk up their 6 x .284 so one time I had to have one. When I finally shot it through a chronograph I discovered that I had little more than a .243 or 6 mm Rem. New hunters, under the guidance of a more experienced one, tend to not take long or risky shots. Women and girls especially tend to take their time aiming often resulting with the desired results. Am I saying that this is a wimpy round? No indeed as one of my best friends kills elk, deer, antelope, and bears most every year. He is a big guy who owns only one center fire rifle, a .243 in Rem M-700 with Leupold 4x. Practice, practice, practice and know the limitations of your rifle and of yourself.

Comment

great caliber, i bought one for my daughter, i shoot it as well.up to 200 yrds easy

Comment

Love my .243 I have taken several mule deer, whitetail and pronghorn with it.

Comment

I like the .243 I got. Taken many deer and dropped some on the spot with it. Works great for deer and coyotes.

Comment

I think the .243 is a great cartridge for deer. While i have never shot a deer with one, i've seen "bang-flop" kills in person. Neat to watch.

Comment

.243 is great in the right hands. However, give this cartridge to an inexperienced hunter and you could ruin him. For instance I killed my first deer with a .243 shooting 100gr ballistics. It was a perfect heart shot and he fell in his tracts. My younger brother took the same gun the next day and shot a buck in the front shoulder. Needless to say it didn't turn out as well. The small caliber and ballistic tip blew up on the scapula. There was blood and huge chunks of bone everywhere. We tracked him for miles until the blood finally dried up. It almost ruined my brother. Had he been shooting something with a little more power there would of been a dead deer not a wounded one. So in short my son/daughter first rifle will be a bit larger probably .270. The .243 is a great gun for whitetails in the hands of an experienced hunter!

Comment

I would deffinately use it if it were legal in Indiana. They are generally accurate enough that you could kill one out to 350 to 400 yards.

Comment

great i love my 243 i kill deer and coyotes with it

Comment

A 243 in the vitals will kill faster and cleaner than a 30-378 wby in the guts everyday.

Comment

My best friend killed a deer down in West Virginia with a .243 and when he went to gut it there wasnt a heart in it the .243 blew out the heart. But all around a good gun.

Comment

A .243 is excellent for deer. I've shot many w/it, currently have one as a backup deer rifle, and my 11 year old daughter had dropped 2 bucks w/ her youth model. I prefer 100gr. bullets for deer myself.

Comment

I'm with huntandtrap09.You have to wait for the perfect shot.My grandfather shot a deer with one;We found it dead 4 days later with a lung shot hole.If he would have had the 270. he has now,we would have had a fiest and not the buzzards!P.s,I use a 30-06.

Comment

I agree with freeborn wholeheartedly. It is a good deer rifle except for the little speedy bullet in the brush is not so good. If you are brush hunting, slower, heavier bullets will help but if you don't have to shoot through brush, the .243 is great, especially if light recoil is important to you. Regarding the damage they do, I can honestly tell you that the most severe hit I have EVER seen on a deer came from a .243 with a 90 grain spitzer. The deer was running fast at 130 yards. My buddy hit the spine midship and split the deer clean in half. The body separated and the back half stopped quickly while the front half bounced through the trees for about 20 yards. Really scary GROSS! By the way, I must tell you that after I got my 25-06, I never shot the .243 again.

Comment

My mom just started hunting with my step-dad after his hunting buddy(brother) passed. He went out and bought a couple of .243s(matching rifle/scopes so if something went wrong he'd be able to look at the other for compairison).
                              The deer they took with those rifles, as has been said else where, went "BANG/FLOP/DEAD". He used to shoot a .270 and told me " I'll never shoot that thing again cause' I'm getting to old to go looking for um' with that .243 they just drop.
                              I worked for a guy in Colo. that elk hunted with one that he grew up on, never had one lost(neck shots).

Comment

Great deer gun. My dad has been using one for more than 30 yrs. I have one also and have used it a few times but all in all its a great deer gun. Or any other medium size game.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad