Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you fill abought a 243 for deer hunting

how do you fill abought a 243 for deer hunting

Feel great about it. Shot placement and bullet type and size are more important than with bigger calibers.

Comment

It works great for me, I have taken many deer with little problem, including a 182 mule deer this past season. Also makes a great varmint gun, 70 grain nosler ballistic tips absolutely vaporize Columbian ground squirrels out of the .243. Mine is currently a Tikka T3 Lite, a great incredibly accurate rifle, but have never really owned a .243 that wasn't (Winchester's, Remington's, and an old Mossberg bolt action have all put meat on my table).

Comment

I hear they are a great gun by the people that use them.

Comment

I FEEL pretty good about a .243. REZ and Idaho summed it up nicely. Nothing to add.

Comment

Until this post, I always thought they were strictly a varmint gun. See that's why I love this website, I'm always learning stuff!

Comment

There is no doubt that a .243 will take a deer down, provided that the shoot does his part.

Comment

243 is a necked down 308 Win or 7.62 NATO round. I’ve taken more Mullies and Whitetail with my 22-250 than all my rifles combined and just as dead as if used my 338 Win Mag. 243 shouldn’t be any problem what so ever! If I was going to buy a 243, I would step up to the 25-06, but the bottom line 243 will do just fine!

Comment

it would be the lowest caliber i would use. MUST HAVE GOOD SHOT!!!!

Comment

i like others above, kill a couple of deer a year with one and have for many years. straight factory loads, 100 gr bullets. the mule deer here in MT drop real dead when hit correctly.

Comment

the .243 will work great for deer hunting...I used a .243 to take my first buck and also a couple pronghorn..

Comment

its a great gun!

Comment

.243 is the official caliber of fun.

Comment

.243=DEAD
                            .308=DEAD
                            .30-30=DEAD
                            .300 mag=DEAD + achy shoulder

Comment

you'll like it, its a good gun my sister shoots one very deadly. It'll kill deer easily out to 250 or so.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad