Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i want to eathier buy ( all from smith and wesson with the performance barrels) a 500 magnum, 460 magnum , or a 44 magnum. whats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i want to eathier buy ( all from smith and wesson with the performance barrels) a 500 magnum, 460 magnum , or a 44 magnum. whats

i want to eathier buy ( all from smith and wesson with the performance barrels) a 500 magnum, 460 magnum , or a 44 magnum. whats some pros and cons of each and which one do u prefer

X-Frame hunters are HUGE. The .460 and .500 ammo is also very expensive. The .500 is in a class of it's own. Advantage of the faster .460 is that you can also shoot .454 Casull and .45 Colt. I am not a fan of doing this because shooting shorter rounds leaves rings inside the chambers. These X-Frames are also compensated - do not shoot one anywhere near me. Did I say they are HUGE?

The N-Frames are just big. Advantages are good performance, lower cost and larger selection of ammo, and ability to shoot the shorter .44 Special.

Comment

i like the .357 its big but its not too big

Comment

Between the 500 and the 460, I would go with the 460. Higher velocites and much better long range (for a handgun) trajectory. I also like the idea of being able to use the .45 colt and .454 casull. Makes the gun much more versitile. The only advantages of the 500 are the "cool factor" of having the biggest one out there and the ability to shoot slightly heavier bullets.

I have a 629 with a 4" barrel for bear protection. It is a compromise. I love the gun itself as a target peice. It is enough gun that it is fun to shoot, but doesn't have the recoil/noise of the x-frames. Comfortable to shoot. I went with the .44 because I have to carry it a lot and didn't want to lug around a gigantic revolver. Ammo cost was also a consideration as I like to practice a lot with it, should i ever need it. As mentioned above, you can shoot .44 specials in it, which is nice. I have taken women who have never shot before and had them shoot the specials without complaint.

That being said, I am not entirely confident in the bear stopping capabilities of the .44. I used to carry a shotgun, but found that I would often set it down on the bank when fishing, etc. It was just to heavy and bulky to comfortable carry all day. I decided I would rather have a .44 on my hip than a shotgun too far away to do any good.

Comment

If you are hunting out of a stand or blind you can't go wrong with the 460,just like greenhead said its got better ballistics than the 500. I would let the recoil scare you eithier they are very pleasant to shoot a friend of mine bought the S&W 460XVR and it has less recoil than my 45colt Ruger. You might also want to check out Magnum Research thier BFR comes with scope mounts.

Comment

what are u planing on killing?

Comment

The .44 gives you all you need to hunt any North American big game, plus it would be the best for carrying around. If you want to stop a charging grizzley then I would step up to the 500 mag. Any of them will drop an animal efficiently. Think about how you plan to pack it. As GreenHead said, you have more ammo options for the .44 if you wanted to use it for recreational shooting as well as hunting

Comment

I'm still bitter with the agreement S & W made with the Clinton administration so I will not purchase any of their products. I know, I know; the top brass at S&W were replaced that made the unwise decision and thank god the Bush administration repealed this asinine bill. Still hard to swallow for me.

Comment

Just wait untill the Obama administration puts it back into place.

Comment

460, three different kinds of ammo flat, very fast for a pistol. its a good gun and you can get the Hornadys for around 20 dollars a box.

Comment

By the way, for the same price, I'd go with a Freedom Arms 83 Field Grade in .454 Casull, .44 Mag, or .41 Mag. Extraordinary quality and accuracy and just the right size. My .454 Casull with a 4=3/4" barrel could group 2" at 50 yards with me behind the open sights.

Comment

I love my .44 mag and have to say that I have no desire to experience MORE recoil. I shoot a lot and frankly must CONCENTRATE and PRACTICE to avoid picking up a flinch. The BIG guns are sexy though... it depends on whether you intend to:
                        a) show off to your friends (bigger is better)
                        b) stop a charging Grizzly (bigger is better but it is where you hit that counts most)
                        c)plink and shoot a lot (.44 is more economical and can be managed for accuracy by most people)
                        d)save money (the .44 will be the most economical)

Also, I have an opinion on stopping power... none of these actually generate enough energy to bowl over a dangerous animal that is high on adrenilin as you would expect. They are all better than poking him with a stick but I have put three .44 mags into one charging 325lb Russian boar and he did NOT stop. One was between the eyes (ricocheted off skull) , one through the diaphram side to side and one through the heart side to side... lodged in opposite foreleg. None of these knocked him down and he did not drop until after about 15 seconds after the heart shot. I would actually hate to try any of these on a really angry gizzley... best of luck!

Comment

I'm partial to my .44, but it definitely depends on your budget and intended use.

Comment

Agreed with MLH answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to The George Floyd case.
                              by 99explorer
                              Dream on boys. We've all seen an actual cold-blooded murder take place on TV, and the kneeling cop will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law....
                              Today, 12:57 AM
                            • The George Floyd case.
                              by FirstBubba
                              Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
                              Minnesota...
                              Yesterday, 10:23 PM
                              by crm3006
                              My mistake, I didn't realize the Minnesota AG was going to prosecute. I thought it was U.S. Attorney Erica MacDonald. ellison being a muslim, there is...
                              Yesterday, 11:24 PM
                            • Masks
                              by crm3006
                              Here ya go, boys and girls. I'm not much in favor of posting links, but this one is both thought provoking and hilarious! ...
                              Yesterday, 11:17 PM
                              by FirstBubba
                              Ellison is Keith Ellison. Once a Rep from MN. He is also a Muslim.
                              He gave up his House seat to run for MN AG. That will set him up to run for...
                              Yesterday, 11:15 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X