Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is your favorite hunting memory?

what is your favorite hunting memory?

During my 4-year tour (1986-90) at Eielson Air Force Base Alaska, I've been asked how many bears have I taken. I had hundreds of chances. I had my crosshairs on many with a round in the chamber of my 338 Win Mag with Nosler 250 grain partitions loaded at 2800 fps and a harvest ticket in my backpack. An easy one shot clean kill everyone. I never pulled the trigger though.

Why you ask?

The beauty and respect of one a Hunter to the other (the bear) perhaps? Most of all the cost of having it mounted I couldn't afford and I knew in the back of my mind that if I did pull the trigger, the hunt was over. I wasn't ready for the hunt to end, never. I wanted more days to hunt, just to be out there. Even if I came home empty handed, it didn't matter. The awesome power, to watch a Grizzly role rocks the size of my ATV like a basketball, hunting for rodents. I never have taken a bear until I moved back to Arkansas.
    Most of all, being alone on a mountain ridge, setting on a giant rock overlooking the endless landscape where perhaps no man ever walked.
    To watch a snow flurry on a far mountain ridge and feel the Lord setting next to me enjoying what God has made.

I may have come home empty handed,
    but my mind is full of awesome memories
    it is a experience, I'll never forget!

But the most memorable days of hunting was with my Father!

Comment

When my son shot his first deer.

Comment

When I shot my Grizzly in AK.

Comment

Hunting with my wife and watching her take her first buck, a nice eight point. It was made all the more special because she took it with a muzzle loader, a percussion Thompson Center Seneca!

Comment

My first buck...even though it was a spike.

Comment

When my daughter finally decided she wanted to go hunting with me to see what it was like (she loved it)

Comment

My first deer me and my brother were hunting togather I think I shot first but he doesnt think so we still arguire over who shot it. It was an 8 pointer it scored 144.

Comment

my first hunt when i killed a squirell

Comment

My first deer it was a 5 point.

Comment

It was my very first time deer hunting. I went up with my dad, his brother, my cousin, and a bunch of their buddies. We were staying in a pop-up spray painted blaze orange by my dad and his brother. My dad had bought me all new blaze cloths and a pair of mittens for himself and I with magnets so you could flip them back and use yours fingers. On opening day my dad and I headed out and followed our bright eyes we put out the day before. Well after the first couple of sets, we weren't sure which one's were ours. So, my dad grabbed my compass and got our heading. So we headed north by the compass and eventually reached a ridge. But we could see a white and orange blob througth the trees. My dad went to check it out and found that it was our truck and camper. We had walked in a full circle and had sat and watched our camp. We figured out later that our gloves had magnets so the compass reading wasn't right. My family has never let my dad live it down, great way to start deer hunting, no wonder I havent shot one yet!

Comment

Not hunting but hunting related. 4 years age I made dinner for my girlfriend of one month, it was the inside tenderloins from a deer I had shot earlier in the week. She loved it and when I told her it was venison she asked if she could see the deer, I obliged and on May 30 2009 she will be my wife. It was a make or break moment and she did very well.

Comment

my ten pointer that i killed... it was my uncels dream buck...so i showed him and he was like whoa????? wow!!!!!!!!!

Comment

My best memory was a few years back. I'd taken my little brother with me bow hunting on opening day. We like to spot and stalk the deer as we were in some weeds trying to get to a spot to set and check the area. This great deer with double brow tines came walking into the bean field bout 150 yards out. In the mean time of watching this deer come our way a bachlor group of young bucks walked inbetween us. We had deer all around us. The big buck came close enough but started to walk the other way. So my little brother stayed back and I snuck along the weeds and hid behind a tree waiting for the buck to come close and not spook any of the other deer. Well he came close enough....I took the shot...we both heard the thud as the arrow hit the deer and took off. We looked around for the arrow but couldnt find it, but we did find a nice blood trail. bout 45 min later we started to go where the deer jumped in the corn field only to have it spook us and it took of running. We followed this deer for over five hours. Waiting a while then start looking again. We never did find the deer again but we went back to where i shot it and finaly did find the arrow. The deer turned right when i shot and i hit him in the shoulder. My heart sunk when we found that arrow. All the hard work we put in looking for that deer and my little brother with me the whole time never gave up. That day I did find out that my brother was ready to hunt. He was all over the blood trail and I wont have to worry bout him giving up. I had the same thing happen with my other brother but it was for spring turkeys and he was doing the shooting with the shotgun. We stalked these turkeys all day getting a shot but no birds. At the end of the day we came upon a nice tom... My little brother was pumped and had the hunting fever. We called and called geting this bird to come close enough the whole time my bother had the gun up and was waiting for a shot. He's only 10 and was shooting my 12 gage. By this time his arm was getting tired but he didnt want to put the gun down in fear of spooking the bird. we walked up on this bird so quick i didnt have time to find a stick for him to set the gun on. He did hit the bird but it wasnt enough to take it down. He was real disappointed at the time but once I told him how hard he worked and that it happens to everyone at some point he's ready for this next spring.

Comment

My favorite memory...
                              The day i got my first buck would probably win. I had been sitting in a deer blind since 1:00 in the afternoon watching deer come out of my stand within fifteen yards. About 10 does, an 8 pointer, and a couple of button bucks. About 4:45 a nice 10 pointer came out of the timber 200 yards away. It walked across te field and bang one shot through the heart dropped it. The rush of adrenaline while waiting for my dad to pick me up caused me to shiver uncontrollably for the 10 or so minutes. I will never forget that feeling!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad