Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what are some good natural plants to plant in a forest to attract deer? ie. apple trees, berry bushes. i wondering, because the

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what are some good natural plants to plant in a forest to attract deer? ie. apple trees, berry bushes. i wondering, because the

what are some good natural plants to plant in a forest to attract deer? ie. apple trees, berry bushes. i wondering, because they just banned baiting where i hunt, and so i want something that the deer will know is there, and keeps them coming back, come fall.

Johnny,

Fruit bearing trees require full sunlight and would not do well under the shade of a forest canopy. If you have openings that provide full sun you might consider planting them there. It will take years before these trees are productive however. Long term food plots featuring forages like chickory, clovers and cereal grains would be a better alternative in my opinion. Recommendations on specific forages, fruit or mast bearing trees would depend on your area of the country.

Comment

Might want to check with the wildlife agencies before planting anything on public or even private commercial land. You could endanger the certification of commercial forest properties, and planting on federal forests is illegal. Definitely illegal on state property in Michigan. Not sure about other states.

Comment

Like Beekeeper said, fruit trees call for lots of sun. If there is an opening in the trees, I would say plant some crab apple trees and persimmon trees deer can't get enough of either kind of fruit. You must keep in mind, however that it will be years before any of these trees bear fruit, so you might consider planting some berrie bushes under them to keep the deer interested in the mean time. To go under the berries I would plant some clover or grains.

Comment

Get a food plot in a box and roll it out like a carpet.

Place your stand about 50 yards away.

Feel good about not hunting "baited deer".

Comment

Corn and clover both attract deer, as does Alfalfa, not sure what you can plant in the forest though. May need to creat a lil' opening.

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad