Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a Simmons scope 3*9 by 40 do you think I need something with a 3*14 or so? For ranges up to 300 yards? what is the averag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a Simmons scope 3*9 by 40 do you think I need something with a 3*14 or so? For ranges up to 300 yards? what is the averag

I have a Simmons scope 3\*9 by 40 do you think I need something with a 3\*14 or so? For ranges up to 300 yards? what is the average distance a hunter will shot at?

NO, use what you've got. You'll not get a 300 long shot, if you think you will, practise.

Comment

That scope is fine. Depends more on calibur. I would say average shot would be much closer to if not under 100 yards. For whitetails anyway. 300 yards at an animal is not like 300 yards at a target. Always try for closer.

Keep shooting straight!

Comment

I agree, the scope that you have is more than enough to handle a 300 yd shot, must people don't shoot over 150 yards on average.

Comment

Seriously?

Comment

3 X 9 is plenty of power but I would use that Simmons scope for birdwatching and get a Leupold (scope and rings) for hunting.

Comment

What are you shooting? MICE!

9 powers are plenty good and I’ve taken a lot of critters with 9X at 700 yards without any difficulty not having a 12X.

Comment

I made a 300 yd shot on a buck with my 7x, so 9x should be plenty. Most shots are deer are 100 yds or less. Unless you live in the plains or hunt very large fields 300 yd shots are rarely nessecary.

Comment

I do live in sask

Comment

The 3 X 9 is all the scope you need. I agree with Del, an upgrade is in order. Leupold and Nikon are good choices.

Comment

i agree with Del and Beekeeper, get a Leupold or Nikon, the 9x is fine, the average shot will be about 100 yards

Comment

Depends on where you are hunting. There are many places in which you may rarely take a shot over a hundred yards, or if you need a bean field shot you can be taking a 300 yard shot. Remember people were making those 300 yard shot with fixed 4 power scopes for a long time and scopes are not cheap.

Comment

Thuroy makes a lot of sense. A high quality fixed 4X is much less expensive than a variable. Our forefathers managed to nearly wipe out deer and buffalo with nothing but iron sights. I have made shots out to 325 yd with a Leupold 1 3/4 X 5X scope that is 25 yrs old and beat up pretty bad, still works great tho. Most people want too much power when they should go for quality glass.

Comment

The 3x9 is pretty standard for hunting large game that can run fast. Whether you are expecting 50 yards or 300 yards, you leave it on 3 power when you are hunting so you have a large enough field of view to aquire your target quickly. Once in a while, you will find a really stupid deer standing around a long ways away. Then, if you feel like it you can crank up the power and count horns before you shoot. I think it would be wonderful if they could come up with a half pound 3x65 power variable so you could do everything with that one scope. However, until they do, your 3x9 will do a great job as long as you are just hunting deer. By the way, the Cedar Knolls study (http://scilowcountry.org/cedar_knoll_deer_study.htm) shows the average deer shot is taken at 132 yards. This is about right unless you hunt in the timber, then it is about 50 yards. I shoot a 3x9 on the prarie in South Dakota and it is even fine there where we can see deer about half way to tomorrow. You still generally need to get within a few hundred yards to make a clean shot.

Comment

Agreed with Jim in Mo answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad