Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

just got 30-06 savage model 111. what would be a good bullet for it? yards it would perform good at? using winchester silver ti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just got 30-06 savage model 111. what would be a good bullet for it? yards it would perform good at? using winchester silver ti

just got 30-06 savage model 111. what would be a good bullet for it? yards it would perform good at? using winchester silver tip or federal power shok or remington corlokt or fusion? for up to 300 yards? for deer and moose maybe black beer.

The best moose kill I have ever witnessed was a 30-06 with a 180 grain Remington Core-LoktĀ®. I truly believe my 338 Win Mag with hot loaded 250 grain Nosler Partition @ 2850 fps would have done the job any better!

Comment

glen,
      I bought a Savage 111 30-06 in '98 and this was before I got into handloading. The first box of bullets I tested was the plain jane Win. Super X 150gr Power Point. To this day no factory loaded round can outshoot this one in my rifle. It would be great for whitetail. For blackbear I'd stick with softpoints and go with 180gr Win Power points, Rem Core Loks, or Hornady Interlocks. For Moose I'd go with Partitions, Federal Premium or Winchester Controlled Technology.

Comment

I've had the best luck with 165 win super x also. I've tried some other stuff but for the price I can't see using anything else, a dead deer is a dead deer whether it was shot with a bullet that was $15 or $30 a box.

Comment

my 110 in .30/06 loves Federal premium 165 gr noslers, ballistic tips or partitions. It shoots both 150 and 165 gr Hornady interlocks to the same zero (almost). My gun is 35 yrs old, so modern versions might like different loads. Buy several and hit the range. And you are solid to 300yds. and beyond for all the game you mentioned if you are competent at those ranges. Good choice.

Comment

I have always preferred the 165 grain loads for the 30/06. These will be fine for any dear or black bear you will come across. I'm with the crowd on using the 180 loads on Moose.

Federal has a really diverse line up of ammo for the 30/06. The Vital Shok line has a great selection of premium bullets in various weights like the Trophy bonded, Barnes XTP, Nosler Accubond, Nosler Partition, Nosler Ballistic Tip and Sierra Game King. The 180 grain Nosler Accubond load would be a great all around load for everything from deer to moose, even out to 300 yards. If you are going to shoot deer regularly at ranges out to 300 you might want to look at the 165 grain loads.

Comment

My .30-06 liked handloaded 168 grain Barnes TSX the best. Expensive bullets so I used those for hunting and cheaper handloads at the range.

Comment

My Savage 111 30-06 has been a constant frustration. Ive tried a lot of ammo and the only thing that helped was a better scope. I tried a bipod to take a shot at deer without testing it first and completely missed at 150 yards prone. If anyone has found ways to get a more consistent shot, I'd like to know how! And yes, I'm a very experienced marksman. Not user error.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Bass View Post
                  My Savage 111 30-06 has been a constant frustration. Ive tried a lot of ammo and the only thing that helped was a better scope. I tried a bipod to take a shot at deer without testing it first and completely missed at 150 yards prone. If anyone has found ways to get a more consistent shot, I'd like to know how! And yes, I'm a very experienced marksman. Not user error.
                  Like yourself, I too was frustrated in my Savage 111 30-06 I did replace the scope with a Vortex Diamondback 3x9x40 and still was getting poor groupings. I took my gun into the local gunsmith to have him check it out and he said the base and rings that came with the gun were crap! I spent the $40 on steel bases and rings and can now drive tacks at 100 yards. I shoot cheap ammo (Remington CoreLokts 150 grain) and can put three shells under 1" groupings. Spend the $40 on your bases and rings and see if that helps!

Comment

In my quest for "whitetails", I've been quite successful after knocking down a few "black beers" at the local put.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad