Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• closest shot on deer?

closest shot on deer?

I've shot a couple with my rifle from bow-range. Pretty cool. And all my bowkills were 20-30 yds.

Comment

My closest shot on a deer was about 50 feet with a .270 It nocked the deer off it's feet and left an exit wound big enough to put my hand in.

Comment

my closest shot a deer was a 5 point that was trailing a doe. She stopped about 15 ft. from me and after seeing me made about a 25ft. jump. I watched him for 200 yards and realized he was going to come to the same spot. I waited and shot him at 15 ft. where he lost the does scent. 30-06 180 grain failsafe sat him right on his butt then he just fell over. My next closest was about 30 ft.

Comment

15-20 yards with a 12 gauge.

Comment

I shot my biggest buck at ten yards as it ran past me,after that I killed a deer on that same ridge for five straight years the longest shot being 75 yards.

Comment

95 yards on a 10 pointer

Comment

5 yards with a bow. Less than 30 feet with muzzleloading rifle.

Comment

between 5-10 yds with a rifle

Comment

3-feet or less!
                    I was walking up a point to my tree stand, as a doe followed my trail up to a huge oak tree, I was leaning on to catch my breath.

The deer seemed to be aiming for the tree, as it slowly made its way. I kept walking around the oak, as to hide myself. I finally got situated, and drew back and waited.

Just as her head appeared on the other side of the huge oak, I lowered my bow and hit her vitals.
                    Simultaneously,as I released the arrow,she snorted and sprayed me with her mucous.

My 14 year old nephew, Nick,had several does running his way over the top of a ridge this past season. The lead doe knocked his 30:30 off of his lap as he was resting.
                    He picked up the gun and shot the third and second doe within seconds of each other.

Two years ago,I had an 8-foot shot at a doe that was walking straight to me, with a muzzleloader and missed.

Comment

the closest shot was at 15 or 20 yards. i was sitting up in an oak tree and it was hauling down the lot line i whistled sharply it stopped dead in its tracks looking for me and then i shot it through its lungs and later found out i had split the heart in two!

Comment

can't say an exact distance but it was inside 3 yards, a doe was walking right at me, i thought she was going to climb into the ground blind with me. And by the way I was dressed in Blaze orange head to toe and she never saw me. It was that day I realized deer use their nose to detect danger far more than they use their eyes.

Comment

400 yards with my 30/6 rifle

Comment

5 ft. on a drive 2 does broke out one went towards the post and the other ran at me.

Comment

With a rifle at about 15 yards or so.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad