Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why can't you hunt with a 22.mag? my friend dropped a gutshot deer with one

why can't you hunt with a 22.mag? my friend dropped a gutshot deer with one

Although it is possible to kill deer with one, a .22mag is both illegal and unethical for deer. It is too light, lacking weight, velocity and foot-pounds of energy. Most (all) bullets for the .22 mag are not of the quality or design needed to humanely kill deer sized game. Don't do it Will, and tell your buddy to knock it off too. You guys don't want to get in trouble, do you?

Comment

Even though the .22mag is a great gun it is not designed for deer. At one point in time they did allow people to use rimfire ammunition without restrictions on magazine capacities to hunt, and people just let the lead fly. Obviously that didn't work! As Steve182 points out it doesn't have the energy for ethical kills. Stick to use the mag for coyotes, coons, squirrels, woodchucks, other small game, and shooting.

Comment

I did the same with a 22 Long Rifle on a nice buck that was hit by a car back in 78. It goes along with the ability to consistency of making a clean kill every time and the 22 Mag doesn’t have. Take the 22-250 driving a bullet almost twice as fast and 15 grains heavier sure makes a deference!

Comment

i agree with steve182, its just not big enough

Comment

It wouldn't be ethical. Steve has a great answer.

Comment

it was almost dead he just finshed it off with the thing from like four feet away he dosen't hunt with it

Comment

i geuss i really wonderd becuse our bucther shot one of our cows with one from like thirty yards and it hit the dirt like a ton of bricks

Comment

wow i would not think that it would drop a cow like that but i still dont think that it is beg enough

Comment

Unless it is at a really close range and dead on precise with the kill zone, it usually does not have enough power or do enough damage. As you increase the distance, the less likely you are to kill the deer and also make an ethical shot.

Comment

because 30/6 are way better than a 22.mag

Comment

I AM SO SICK OF HEARING ABOUT TINY CALIBERS FOR BIG GAME!

Stop playing the "how small can we get away with?" game. It's infuriating, and to be honest, unfair to the game.

If you want to kill a deer, use a deer caliber. One that will kill them good and dead, good and fast, every time.

In the Southwest, that can mean .243. But I would not be trying that on a 250lb. Upper Midwest buck or 300lb. Saskatchewan buck.

Comment

It is totally unethical to use such a small caliber on deer.

Comment

the entry hole is very small and when the deer runs away you won't find much of a blood trail which is unethical.

Comment

Some friend
                              He should never hunt again.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad