Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

all i hear on this site is savage savage savage. anybody here shoot a custom rifle? if so what is it chambered for and who bui

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1 for dakota. and im sensing some antimocity on this topic for some reason with all the negatives....

Comment

NM-
      savage does not make a good firearm, it makes a accurate firearm, there is a difference. ive heard people having issues with the bolt, feeding,and the firing pin. not something i want to have an issue with when that buck walks out in front of me. granted ive only heard of this happening to serious shooters who put alot of rounds downrange. i shoot my deer rifle alot. i shoot it year round, and a few months before the season i put 40-50 rounds through it every weekend. now if you only shoot your gun the weekend before deer season to make sure it hits then savage is the best bang for your buck, but i shoot to much for that gun to be reliable.

Comment

I have a few that have had some work done, not necessarily custom stuff. My Ruger .220 Swift had some trigger work done, and my Interarms 7MM Remington magnum has an aftermarket trigger. My Remington 788 .308 Winchester had the stock redone after I fell on it and banged it up badly. You can see a picture of it with a 7 pt. on my profile if interested. I do have what I would consider a semi-custom that I just acquired this past fall. It is a Ruger 77 Mk II in the Ruger synthetic stock with the company name and logo embossed in the stock and started out life as a .270 Winchester. The gunsmith replaced the factory barrel with a 23" Douglas barrel, had the barreled action treated with metalife (http://www.mahovskysmetalife.com/), and chambered it to .338-06 A-Square. It was then engraved with the caliber and shop name by Keith Casteel. I always wanted a custom rifle and an all weather so this accomplished both. It's unique in it's chambering, finish, and engraving, and holds great value to me in that the one gunsmith who worked on it passed away before it was finished. All of my work, including the '06, was done by German River Gun Works in Va.

Comment

Addendum - I had planned to put the '06 in a thumbhole stock but ran out of time. I'm still considering that before another year but the Ruger stock isn't too bad. I took a small 4 pt. with it and my daughter used it to take her first bear, picture on my profile. I also forgot, regarding Savages, my kids have 3 of the 110 family, a .22-250, a .257 Roberts, and a 7mm Remington magnum, all three shoot very well and do all that is asked of them with no problem.

Comment

correction, i have 2 savage rifles. my .3oo savage is one of the best i own.

Comment

A long time ago, I had a custom-stocked rifle built that was highly personalized and very distinctive (full-length stock and trap-door buttplate, etc.).
              But over the years, my taste in rifle styling and choice of calibers changed, and if I had it to do over again, it would be very different.
              My favorite rifles now are off-the-shelf.

Comment

All we hear out of you is trophy this custom this blah, blah, blah. I am not impressed with your self proclaimed greatness .Now if you would be so kind kiss my bass. by the way. I do own custom made rifles from the Thompson center custom shop as well as a new 338-06 ackly imp. made by a former world record holder for group size in bench rest shooting.

Comment

Yep, I have rifles that shoot bullets in to the same hole or touching each other hole @ 100yds. One is chambered in .300 win mag. With a jewleled bolt, deep, beautiful walnut stock, with a special 3 rings of steel action- it comes from the revered gunsmith, Remington arms company and is called the Remington 700 BDL, purchased for 675 big ones. The other is a .243, synthetic stocked, free floated, smooth actioned, rifle I recently purchased for $243.00 (tax included and also a coincidence) from the respected Savage Arms shop. The .300 shoots half inch groups with corelokts and equivelant handloads, and the .243 shoot, for the moment being, 80 grain federal ammunition at $18.00 a box in 1/4 inch groups @ 100 yards. So now I ask, unless your hunting field mice, what is the practicality of a $4,000 custom rifle that may shoot .0000012 of an inch tighter groups than my guns, I mean seriously, it's not like your hunting field mice from 800 yards away. The only custom rifles I'll ever on are the ones I'll do myself.

Comment

cooner-
                    i dont really have that much "self proclaimed greatness" that you speak of. im asking if anyone here shoots a custom gun and how much better they like it as opposed to a standard factory gun...
                    .300-
                    why buy a custom gun? my dads best friend is a gunsmith, and i wanted a deer rifle, so instead of going out and buying a rifle i had one built for me to my specifications, using the best components available. i had the money, so i got the gun. the best answer i can give you is that custom guns are better, and i had the financial means to get one, so why wouldnt i?

Comment

Ya, then you take that wad of cash out and you trip and it slides down a rocky hill- then what. That extra $2500 you spent on your rifle could of replaced a standard rifles stock with another one almost twice over, and you could of replaced the barrel with a premium one and a got a new trigger, also, and only have spent $1,450, instead of $3,000. The last I checked the Rem. Model 700 action is one of the best around, and it is even revered by the military.

Comment

As Dakotaman says, building your own and having the gunsmith work out the tough stuff is fine, but paying $3,000 for a rifle is excessive. Especially if you live in pa, where shots are around 150yds for the norm. There are no severe temperature extremes to deal with. I am putting a $675 dollar PDC custom stock on my new Savage, and with a bull barrel, should prompt it to put bullets in the same hole. Total cost: $900. But then again, with the holes touching at 100 already, whats the point of messing with a good thing.

Comment

ive never heard of anyone dropping there gun down a rocky hill and breaking the stock, and the reason i spent that much is so that if that does happen, the stock will be fine and the rifle will continue to work. my dad had a horse roll over his rifle on a mt goat hunt and no issues, made by the same gunsmith as mine...i dont live in PA either, i go there a few times a year to hunt deer and black bear. i know savages are accurate, and if you read my earlier post i spoke of reliability issues with savage actions and firing pins.

Comment

I was referring to dropping your rifle and scratching the hell out if a finely finished stock. And my dad has owned a Savage in .300 win mag for 20 years and hasn't had a problem with it.

Comment

ive got a good synthetic on it

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad