Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

all i hear on this site is savage savage savage. anybody here shoot a custom rifle? if so what is it chambered for and who bui

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• all i hear on this site is savage savage savage. anybody here shoot a custom rifle? if so what is it chambered for and who bui

all i hear on this site is savage savage savage. anybody here shoot a custom rifle? if so what is it chambered for and who built it for you.

also how do you like ther perfomance of this rifle compared to of the shelf factory guns.

Comment

I don't have any "custom" guns built by someone else. I do have a few modified rifles, with different stocks, non-origial bottom metal, aftermarket triggers and safety, aperture sights, etc.

I have never thought custom rifles were worth the time and expense. I would not count rebarreling only as a custom rifle. My upgraded Weatherby Mark V's are close enough to custom for me. I won't keep a rifle that will not produce 1 to 1.5 inch groups with handloads.

Comment

the closest gun i have to custom is a savage .204 rger with a McMillan stock and a bull barrel with a vortex scope. thats as close as your gonna get from to a custom rifle lol

Comment

I think you hear so much about Savage on the site because of the Economy and Savage producing a very accurate gun for the money. Some of them, i'll agree, are not much to look at.

Comment

As an aside, many custom guns do not hold their value very well unless there is something special about them like previously belonged to a famous person or made by a late famous gunsmith.

Comment

I don't own any customs and will likely not be buying any soon. If money was not an issue it would different.

Comment

i own one savage and it performs great for what i paid for it. i can't afford a custom and don't need one. savage is a good firearm for the money. most on here are not rich.

Comment

I love to look at those rifles that DP gets to test but doubt I would ever buy one. I have several rifles all made by a different manfacturer. I like them all for what they were intended to do. One is a Savage.

Comment

i just inherited an older 300 savage, shot it yesterday and was pretty pleased with it myself

Comment

i ask this question because i have one custom rifle that i had built for me, my .270 wsm. specs are a shilen barrel, jewel trigger, and a model 1999 montana left handed action. accuracy with my handloads is under a half inch, i expect all my bullets to be in the same hole or at least touching each other, its a tac driver. im sure there out there, but i have yet to see an off the shelf rifle attain consistent accuracy like that. i had the opportunity to shoot a savage before deer season at the range chambered in .270, and it was ll over the place. hence my issues with trusting savage accuracy. all of my other rifles that are not custom have had trigger jobs done to improve accuracy. the only off the shelf gun i have not done anything to is a .300 weatherby. trigger is great, the kevlar stock is very nice, and accuracy with handloads is about a half inch. i also question savage reliability, with a cheaper gun, i always wonder if anything could go wrong with it. maybe i expect to much out of my rifles?

Comment

Don't buy a Savage. Simple as that. Problem solved.

Comment

For what it is worth, my Savage is very accurate. If a rifle shoots," all over the place" could be that the scope mounts are loose,scope issues, the action is not tight,could have a better rest while shooting, could be Bush's fault or maybe Obama's. Maybe space aliens, who knows.
                          One reason that you hear alot about Savage is beacuse Savage makes a very good firearm.

Comment

My Savage '06 factory rifle shoots better than my buddies semi custom by a big margin, at one third the cost.

Comment

I'm not sure if this qualifies for custom but I put premium barrels, triggers, stocks, safeties, butt pads and mounts on my rifles. I have whittled a stock and glass/pilar bedded stocks. See my pics for one of them. I buy the stuff, assemble what I can and have a gun smith do the headspacing, special machining and metal coating. It is quite rare to see a factory rifle of any kind near as accurate. I have seen accurate factory rifles but they are a crap shoot. I have no doubt that if you buy a premium barrel and have the manufacturer chamber, crown and thread the barrel with a highly accurate cartridge (i.e. not a .30-.30), you will get an accurate shooter. There is no factory rifle I could recommend that would shoot as well as a custom rifle. I used a relatively rare cartridge, the .300 Dakota because of its capacity, consistent powder burn and ability to head space on the shoulder for additional help with long range accuracy. It works. I could put a good barrel on my Weatherby and make it a shooter but I could do the same thing with a Savage. I typically shoot p-dogs at 150 yards with decent factory rifles and at 600 yards with good barrels. I will say, my stock Bushmaster Varminter is shooting more like .3 MOA which lets me shoot p-dogs out to 300 yards pretty reliably. With the .300 Dakota, I can hit them about half the time at 1000 yards. The rifle would do better but I'm not that good a shot yet. If you are just shooting deer at 200 yards, you don't need to spend the extra money though.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad