No announcement yet.

what do you think about fenced hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do you think about fenced hunting?

what do you think about fenced hunting?

i guess ill start this one and give my opinion. if you hunt an animal in a fenced in are its not really hunting theres not really a challenge which is why this kind of "hunting" is done usually by the rich guy who never shot a gun before but just wants a good story to tell his frieds usually if you find out that was the hunt they were on theyll say theres nothing wrong with it and that it is fair chase but i can almost garantee you when their bragging about their catch the wont mention anything about a fence

Comment

If your talking about like down in Texas were they bait and fence in I think it should be legal only if the deer population is getting way too high. There's no real sport in it other than the excitement of shooting something, but it's probably different than if you shot one fair chase.

Comment

i think its pretty much just slaughtering the animal rather then realy hunting it. it she be illegal no matter what the population. if its getting to high raise the limits

Comment

No matter how you look at it, I say it is unethical and should not be allowed. It's not hunting! This also should be the case on game farms with exotic game, that doesn't belong here. The problem is said to have attributed to the spread of CWD in wild populations when the penned animals have escaped.
          Fair chase.........

Comment

Just an analogy: Put 50 trout in a small swimming pool. Then take your bare hook and stick it in the water. When you hook a fish and pull it out of the pool say, "well looky here what I caught!" Did you really go fishing? Yes. However, I wouldn't call you a fisherman. Now apply that to this deer situation.

Comment

I have been lucky enough to go scouting on a high fenced ranch. I didnt get to shoot anything, but I saw this main frame twelve. Biggest deer I have ever seen. My heart still pounded and I was shaking. I guess when you see them its not going through your head that its high fenced. You still get the shakes.... atleast I did. And I dont know many hunters who dont get that way. Now is it right? I dont know but they got some big ass deer.

Comment

Part of the satisfaction is the meat we get to enjoy, and part the memory of the hunt. I've never hunted a fenced ranch, but I bet you never forget when he walked out and you got him! I say, to each his own. I hunt in the great wide open. But if the next fellow wants to hunt behind a fence, I say go enjoy yourself. I cringe when someone says "___ should be illegal". Hunters should stick together. If you don't want to do it that way, that is okay. Hunting high fence is the only way some guys will ever be exposed to hunting. If they enjoy it for whatever reason, I bet they would never support anti-hunting legislation that would encroach on our hunting rights.

Comment

I'm going to agree with the guys that say it should be illegal. Its not fair chase and I don't really see how anyone can be satisified after shooting an animal that is contained.

Comment

I don't like it. I think it's wrong and not true hunting. I use a compound bow and my grandpa use to razz me about it saying that, that wasn't true hunting, so I guess to each his own, but you won't find me or my kids in fence.

Comment

I dont like it. Its not even hunting. If a deer is traped I dont think that is fair chase.

Comment

My opinion on the matter is that its unethical. 100% fair chase is the only way I would ever hunt or think anyone else SHOULD. Being a free country though, to each his own.

Hunter3006: you said it exactly right. Hunters should be on the same page.. Always gets me when some fellow hunter on here is willing to start a verbal fight or just plain be an _ _ _ hole. If we want our sport to survive we need to stick and fight together against anti- hunting organizations which would get great joy in seeing our sport elliminated.

Comment

Totally UNETHICAL...it should be OUTLAWED!! Where's the sport?

Comment

Fine as long as the trophy is not passed off as a wild deer. A few months ago I saw a catalog for a Whitetail deer ranch in Texas that raises and sells monster bucks. The bigger the rack the higher the price.

Comment

Personally, I am not a fan of them. The people that do use them, that's fine for them; I just prefer areas that are not fenced.

I know people personally that do have fenced in areas for hunting, which they use for their livelihood; I understand it's just another form of hunting for people.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad