Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've heard that crossbow bolts have an issue with penetration. Would shooting heavier stuff (bolt and tips)help with penetration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've heard that crossbow bolts have an issue with penetration. Would shooting heavier stuff (bolt and tips)help with penetration

I've heard that crossbow bolts have an issue with penetration. Would shooting heavier stuff (bolt and tips)help with penetration?

never shoot less than a 125 gr broadhead with crossbows

Comment

ive never had any trouble with penetration with a crossbow... those bolts are flying fast enough that they go through almost every time. it is actually by compound bow that i'm having trouble with.

Comment

Crossbow bolts are shorter and thus posess less mass per shaft diameter than an arrow delivered from a verticle bow. They are fst to a certain point but due to decreased mass they loose velocity quicker. My compound actually shoots flatter over 40 yards than a high dollar crossbow I have.

My crossbow directions recommended not using broadheads heavier than 100 grains as the heavier heads create balance issues and decrease performance. I use a 100 grain 3 blade Muzzy with the set up to great effect. With any bow I restrict my shots to 30 yards of less. My crossbows direction make a statment about not using a crossbow on game beyond 40 yards due to penetration issues from reduced mass.

Comment

Buddy o mine just shot clean through a doe with a lower end horton crossbow. Crossbows are a very seroius weapon. He shoots 125gI shoot 100g his does penetrate deeper, but my deer was double lunged at 30 yards.

Comment

Friends of mine did a forensic study on arrows,compound bows,crossbows and broadheads for the police dept . What they found was that a crossbow shooting 150# with a 125gr snuffer would penetrate a bulletproof vest at 15 feet and pass through it and still remain intact. Arrows fired from a 90# compound bow only penetrated the outer layer and the broadhead exploded along with the arrow. Excluding the snuffer braodhead which broke at the ferral. Crossbow bolts do lose velocity faster though then do arrows over the course of distance. The turning point is rather quick too. Less then 75 feet. Penetration should not be a problem if the correct shot has been taken. They are not rifles or shotguns, they are archery tackle

Comment

I have xbows from 80lb to 200lb, I do not hunt but,iam constantly surprised by the enormous power output of these weapons. My 80lb pistol xbow I have modified to shoot around 300fps (but the kinetic energy is lower than that of a full xbow) I can put a 6"bolt through 6 cans of full dog food with it..and the 200lb xbow has shot a 20"bolt through a car door and some all most through the other door as well.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Jan. 6 committee illegally formed
                by labrador12
                You could listen to Jack del Rio and Larry Correia and blow off the hearings because they are a made for TV Stalinesque Show Trial too!. The same people...
                Today, 04:09 PM
              • Jan. 6 committee illegally formed
                by FirstBubba
                Number 1 - the committee was SUPPOSED to be composed of 8 (D)'s and 5 (R)'s.
                Pelosi rejected three of the (R) members and filled the spots with...
                06-11-2022, 08:51 AM
              • Reply to Abortion Up To States
                by labrador12
                That is why so many citizens are outraged by the Jan 6 atrocity by the Brandon Justice Dept. Nothing illegalities are being blown out of proportion. Meanwhile...
                Today, 03:35 PM
              • Abortion Up To States
                by jhjimbo
                Court reversed abortion, back to the States where it should have been in the first place. Let them vote on it.
                06-24-2022, 12:22 PM
              • Reply to You guys are sleeping
                by labrador12
                In NY your guns are enumerated on your permit. In Pa the citizen is issued a permit. No questions are asked. No finger prints, no training requirements,....
                Today, 03:25 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X