Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We are shotgun only where I hunt in Wisconsin but handguns do get past the law. With this in mind I am considering a TC contend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We are shotgun only where I hunt in Wisconsin but handguns do get past the law. With this in mind I am considering a TC contend

We are shotgun only where I hunt in Wisconsin but handguns do get past the law. With this in mind I am considering a TC contender pistol in 6.8 rem spc. My question is, do any of you have experience with this cartridge, and will the recoil be manageable in a handgun? If you think this will make a poor handgun cartridge what would you suggest in its place?

Not familiar with that round but I can appreciate how you are using the letter of the law to extend your range. I know there are Handguns, namely the Contender, but others too, that'll shoot a centerfire round well beyond shotgun range. Good luck

Comment

Not too keen on that caliber, but I would definitely get a T/C pistol.

Comment

Are bottleneck handgun cartridges allowed in the WI shotgun zone? In MI we are only allowed straight wall handgun cartridges in the shotgun zone.

Comment

As long as it meets stock and barrel length requirements cartridge doesn't matter. And yes steve that is the idea, i have started hunting some areas where the ability to take a 150-200 yard shot would be a huge advantage and I think a small rifle cartridge out of a 14 inch contender barrel is the way to go.

Comment

If there is no caliber retriction I'd go with a rifle caliber in a hand gun barrel, 25-06, 308, or 30-30. I've got a 450 Marlin on my encore and I DON'T recommend that for the faint of heart.

Comment

See Brad that is my main concern with a regular rifle cartridge, I want something I will like to shoot and will practice with because i know if I want to be able shoot at 200 yards with a pistol I will need to practice. My other thoughts were a .243 win or even a 7-30 waters.

Comment

Nice to see that WI has some more reasonable laws. If they meet requirements you might also consider a Remington XP-100 or a Savage Striker. Might be a bit difficult to find but they should handle the recoil better.

Comment

you might also consinder a 7-08 more poof than a 243 and maybe better ballistics to out of a pistol.

Comment

what part of Wi are you hnting southern WI? I hunt Northern WI just wondering

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad