Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i have just been reading up on QDMA and they say that to bring a deer population stabile. You have to kill 20-30 percent of the

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i have just been reading up on QDMA and they say that to bring a deer population stabile. You have to kill 20-30 percent of the

i have just been reading up on QDMA and they say that to bring a deer population stabile. You have to kill 20-30 percent of the does. how do you do this in one season.

QDMA looks to have a closer buck to doe ratio. Killing of 20-30 percent of the doe population is only in areas with high deer densitys, and in those areas doe tags are readily available. For example where I live in Michigan you can by five doe tags a day for private land. Which may have other motives, but in years past it went from a drawing to being able to buy five in a season. If you took five does of a year you would thin the population.

Comment

i live in MD and i can legally kill 10 does and 10 with my bow.

Comment

It depends on the population dynamics of your area and also the size of your property. For instance you can't effecitively quality manage any more land than you have control of. Quality mgt. is for large block land owners or groups of land owners with smaller holings that tie together. You don't accomplish this in one year. You initiate a heavy doe harvest over a period of years "IF" it is needed. By reducing the doe population you eliminate unproductive (unbred) does from the population thus extending resources to productive animals.

One of the keys to QDM is letting the bucks live and move into older age groups. Just killing does won't accomplish much unless you lay off the young bucks and let them grow up.

Comment

my club is strictly a trophy lodge but thats the problem they wont shoot does. we have 1200 acres 600 marsh and 600 wooded.

Comment

Bioguy,
            Holy balls that is alot of typing. Didn't read much but damn you deserve a +1 for all that effort.

Comment

ME to ~~ +1~4U Sir.

Comment

Excellent summation, BioGuy. You covered it all.

Comment

I would try lobbing a hand granade, or just listen to bioguy he seems to be well educatated on the matter. + 1 form me.

Comment

In Northen Minnesota we have way to many does & the bucks, while abundant & big dont have to go looking around if does are a dime a dozen.if it would realisticly help your hunting property...do a hunting party. invite a Dad & his kid over & let the kids & Dad have fun for a season or two.Thats how I got into hunting & my Kids Loved it.Lots of meat & Good times. Hope that helps

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad