Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i need to know the price of the T/C Icon classic in .308 for may dads birthday. the T/C website does not have an MSRP on it. doe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i need to know the price of the T/C Icon classic in .308 for may dads birthday. the T/C website does not have an MSRP on it. doe

i need to know the price of the T/C Icon classic in .308 for may dads birthday. the T/C website does not have an MSRP on it. does anyone have any reviews about that gun, should i get my dad a better mule deer gun or is it pretty good.

http://search.gandermountain.com/?Ne=1000045&N=1760+4294953417+4294958703&cname=Cen terfire-Rifles

Comment

I think that's a really nice rifle and you can't do a whole lot better. There are rifles that you could call better or nicer, but you're getting into semi-custom or custom ranges at that point.

Comment

What a son! That is quite a gift... Nice! The T/C Icon gets great reviews but the Winchester Model 70 is a great rifle in that price range too. Either would be sweet!I'm not sure where you are hunting muleys but I consider the .308 to be a little under gunned for them on the prairie and in flying cross canyon situations. A .308 will sure kill them OK if you hit them but most muley shots I have seen are at ranges of 200 to 400 yards or more. Either that or they are running like a banshee about to disappear forever in a canyon. In either case, a faster, flat shooting rifle makes the shot easier with less holdover and less lead. Popular muley cartridges are 25-06, .270, 7mmm Mag and lately even the .300 Win Mag although I consider the .300 Winny as a little overkill for muleys. More recoil and expense than is actually needed without killing them deader. I shoot a 25-06 for mulies because it is fast and I don't like to get my hat knocked off when I shoot. A lot of my buddies shoot them too. A few shoot the .7mm Mag with a .270 here and there and we all do just fine. Good luck and Happy Holidays!

Comment

Now thats a gift I'd love to receive!

Comment

I think it's ridiculous to say that a .308 isn't fast or flat enough for muleys. People did just fine when the .30-30 was the hottest thing around, and people are shooting them now while they stand still at 30-40 yards and under with bows so...

Comment

Your are giveing back what a Great SON.!!
              IMO~~ The Winchester M/70,Feather Weight in 308or30/06
              would be my pick it has the punch for Elk and M/deer
              Moose,Black Bear, MSRP $789.00

Comment

Shane, I apparently touched a nerve there... sorry my friend. Perhaps I could explain a little better. I agree that you can shoot mule deer and whitetails with a .22LR (although they are not legal in most states) and kill them dead at ranges of 30-40 yards. You can shoot them with arrows too. However if you are hunting them with a rifle, some rifles make it easier than others. On a scale of 1 to 10 how would you rate the following cartridges for a mule deer rifle? Assume the rifle season shots could be 100 to 400 yards with an occassional 400-600 yard shot and some of those closer shots will be big bucks flushing from a canyon with 100 yards of visibility until they reach the edge of the next canyon. Also assume that you will train long enough to shoot your rifle accurately and predictably so that you can handle these conditions.
                I personally would rate them as follows:
                Arrow - 0
                .22 LR - 0
                25-06 - 10
                .270 - 9
                7mm Mag - 10
                .30-30 - 3
                .308 Rem - 5
                .30-06 - 7
                .300 Win - 10

Maybe my mule deer hunting is quite different from yours. Frankly, I haven't seen too many nice bucks posing at 40 yards during rifle season. As a matter of fact, I can safely say that I have NEVER seen a nice buck posing at 40 yards during rifle season. I see them that way during the summer and during archery season but where I hunt, bringing the best rifle will increase your odds considerably.

Comment

There was recent article in North American Hunter about using enough gun. Petzel has also made many references about .338 being a perfect elk gun and being enough gun. A lot of guns will make the kill, but you want to have enough gun to make all of the shots without making an unethical shot. The other thing you want to consider is it only Mule deer that he is going to hunt. Is he going to hunt elk as well. If so go with a bigger bang. Don't get me wrong a .308 is great, but there are a lot of great choices.

Comment

400-600? Come on. The old timers that hunted with open sights are laughing.

Comment

I Have a question. I'll grant that I only scanned this series, but did ANYONE actually answer the question?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to TGIF; Shake it
                        by fitch270
                        Oh, not to nitpick but Frenchy did the makeover. The beauty school dropout chick....
                        Today, 06:40 PM
                      • TGIF; Shake it
                        by fitch270
                        Don’t have to explain it do I?

08-03-2022, 08:11 AM
                        by franchi20
                        A classmate at Vo-tech was smitten with her. We made him crazy, insisting she was gay. Wasn't true, but we sure got a rise out of him every time he brought...
                        Today, 06:33 PM
                        by fitch270
                        Let’s be honest, the pants made the makeover.

Hadn’t heard the news, knew she was an advocate for Breast Cancer...
                        Today, 05:56 PM
                      • Reply to Gun Values
                        by MattM37
                        Something tells me that my Ranger single-shot .22 with the busted trigger guard probably ain't it....
                        Today, 05:51 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X