Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long do you hang your deer before processing it? If it's cold I let my deer hang at least 5 days. What do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never been able to let it hang over a day. The weather here can still b 50-70 degrees even in NOV, Heck it was 70 yesterday (JAN) and we always have dogs around camp so I don't let it hang. I usually quarter it and put it in an ice cest for a day or two. Gotta be careful there too and change the water out. I had one rot on ice a few years ago, I was not a happy camper.

Comment

We usaully let them hang a week if weather permits, but they skin harder when frozen. Skin pullsright off when done soon after the kill.

Comment

At our camp we like to leave our deer hang for 5 or 6 days with the hide on. We have a professsional butcher that hunts with us and he has proved to us that even though it may get warm ( 40 - 50 ) during day the hide keeps the meat cool. If you would like to try something cut the hide and slide your hand between the meat and hide and see how cold it is. I skin our deer with a 4-wheeler so it dosen't matter how hard the hide pulls off, Our deer meat tastes excellent and thats what matters. Temperture in your area will determine what you do. Our camp is high in the mountains of WV.

Comment

I won't hunt them unless the weather is freezing, because you can't age the meat properly for taste otherwise. A week at an average temp of 32 or less.

Comment

I do it the same day for me!!!

Comment

Warm weather, I quarter them up immediately and put them in my extra refrigerator in my garage for three or four days before processing them. As the weather gets better for aging, I leave them hanging longer and check them every day. I have one hanging now that has been hanging for 11 days and its still good. I plan on processing it tomorrow or the next day.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xmkdx-LCAtA

Comment

Comment

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad