Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've gotta ask, when people talk about "shoulder" shots are we talking about the scapula, which is the actual "bone" Ive seen al

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've gotta ask, when people talk about "shoulder" shots are we talking about the scapula, which is the actual "bone" Ive seen al

I've gotta ask, when people talk about "shoulder" shots are we talking about the scapula, which is the actual "bone" Ive seen alot of animals shot there and they go down instantly. with this shot do you actualy hit any vitals or does the energy from impact of the bullet overide the nervouse system ? whats the chance of wounding this animal?

well i think it would be dumb to wreak half the deers meat by shooting them in the shoulder but you probably get vital and nervous system and also if some one took your legs out i think you would drop to . and it depends on how far in the shoulder you go if you just hit the rear of the shoulder it will run for about 30 yards i have never shot a deer in the shoulder so i cant tell you if it would wound it but probably not

Comment

Whether the bullet reaches the vitals depends on the angle and to some extent on bullet construction. But I think "shoulder shots" refers to an aiming point behind the shoulder.
      Deer actually hit in the shoulder bone usually do collapse, but I have seen them get up and fall several more times before expiring. I expect that some might require a finishing shot, but I have not witnessed that.

Comment

Shooting a deer in the shoulder ruins meat, but it puts it down instantly because it, well.......shatters the deer's shoulder and overloads the nervous system killing it almost instantly. However, it ruins meat, so I would only use this as an emergency shot, such as I missed and hit the deer in the leg or paunch, and needed to take it down quick. Or if the next #1 Boone and crocket deer stepped out..... which isn't likely. I might be Inclined to take a similar shot if the deer was quartering away and the bullet would enter the lungs and exit the shoulder. This shot would not ruin meat because the pieces of shattered bone would go outward, not inward towards the meat. The reason shooting the shoulder kills so quickly is because it because it shatters the shoulder into tiny bits making the deer collapse, and often those meat destroying bone fragments enter the heart bleeding it out quickly.

Comment

Every time I have heard this term, it was concerning dangerous game hunting. The quarry needs to be anchored to keep it from going into an area where you don't want to follow it, or to keep it from coming at you. As for deer, it seems to be unnecessary.

Comment

I think the "shoulder shot" refers to the shoulder blade. If you hit the shoulder blade the deer will go right down. There are alot of nervous behind the blade. Similar to a neck shot, it overrides the nervous system and drops the animal. The blade also covers the front portion of the lungs so you want to be aware of the angle so the shot goes into the vital area. Best thing to do is just aim behind the shoulder and put the bullet in the heart or middle of the lungs. That way if you miss a few inches any directions you'll still hit the vitals.

Comment

I hunt some areas where the deer come from another property. If I basically want the deer to "drop", I'll attempt to wait until I can take out "both" shoulders. A true, through the "scapula" shoulder shot takes out the esophagus, the carotid arteries, the trachea and will "normally" destroy all veins and arteries to the heart!
              There is not a "lot" of meat on the shoulders, but yes, there is some. I will sacrifice the shoulders if it means not loosing the entire deer.
              If I'm not concerned with "where" the deer falls, the shot goes "behind" the shoulder just a tad high, which takes out both lungs. Deer seldom travel far without lungs!
              If you're close enough and sure enough, a "neck" shot is awesome! Just remember, there's a whole lot more room to miss than there is to hit!

Bubba

Comment

go with the safe shot and shoot behind the shoulder and take out the vitals.

Comment

it all depends on where you hit in the shoulder. deer are a relatively big animal, their shoulder blade covers a lot. i have shot many deer through the sholder with a 12 ga deer slug... it drops them and contrary to what many have said in this thread, ruins very little meat. almost everytime, i have taken out both lungs, liver, and the heart. i have also had deer get back up after a shoulder shot. there is never a sure instant kill besides a head shot and i have had animals that i have shot through the lungs get up and run too. all we can really do is our best and sometimes our best places a shot through the sholder.

Comment

I aim for vitals. Shoulder blade can work with guns, but I don't recommend for bow. I hit one there once and the arrow simply stopped and broke.

Comment

When I talk about high shoulder shots which I have used for 50 years with great suscess I shoot in the area just above the shoulder blade which takes out the entire nervous system of the deer encluding part of the backbone. I usually ruin about 1 inch of tenderloin, a small price to pay to watch a deer drop in its tracks and not have to track a deer. Around my area this is a common shot but from what I read on this site no one uses this shot. If there are 8 bucks hanging on our meat pole 6 of them will have been killed by a high shoulder shot. I have never had a deer get up after a high shoulder shot or even try to get up. I guess we are just lazy at our camp and don't like to track deer.

Comment

FirstBubba and Sarge01 got it right. A shoulder shot is a very good shot, and usually results in a bang-flop or a one jump and dead. I shoot right through the point where the hair breaks when the front leg moves, and have had one doe out of many get about thirty five yards.
                        The shoulder shot is also very forgiving, for if you shoot high, you get the shot Sarge01 describes. Left or right, you either hit the base of the neck, or the boiler-house. A tad low, you take out a front leg, but deer don't travel too far on three legs, and will usually lay down and not get up, if you wait a reasonable length of time. As to ruining meat, you won't lose as much as you think you will. Most of my 165 gr. NBTs and 115 gr. NBTs pass through the shoulder blade and explode the lungs. Not much meat loss, and a RND deer.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad