Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have been hunting for a while and have heard several different opinions on how early to get into the stand. I personally go in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have been hunting for a while and have heard several different opinions on how early to get into the stand. I personally go in

I have been hunting for a while and have heard several different opinions on how early to get into the stand. I personally go in so that i am ready and waiting 30 minutes before daylight, and have killed several deer. I'm just curious. What do y'all think?

I try to get settled 30-45 minutes before shooting light. I have got there much, much earlier and later too, with mixed results. I find the 9-11a.m. hours particularly good so i don't sweat it too bad if i'm a little late getting there in the morn.

Comment

First it depends on deer movements, but most of all, deer will pattern your moves and adjust there feeding and travel around your movements. In the day, I wouldn't see a deer, but an 1/2 hour before and after daylight, I might see as many as 15 or so going in. Last winter, with all the leaves off the trees and snow, I was able to glass distant ridges and notice many deer bedded down just yards from a trail or road.

Comment

To me being in your stand or where you are going to hunt 30 minutes before daylight works just fine.

Comment

30 minutes early before first light is ok, I like to try to be on stand about 45 minutes to an hour before first light so everything calms down and I get calmed down and relax, I walk in slow and easy and take my time

Comment

I am with steve on this one. I know the conventional wisdom is to get on stand well before dawn, but after having seen so many deer WELL AFTER dawn, I am no longer a fanatic about time.

Comment

i head out as soon i as i can see because what if the deer are right near your stand and you spook them and you don't know.

Comment

30 mins early is perfect, but I never use a light.

Comment

I am with Clay on this stager your time to the stand
                  most of my kills have been at 7:15 to 9:30Am and 1:20-to 3:15Pm.

Comment

MAX, 30 minutes. Prefer 15 to 20 minutes early. Anything over 30 and I get fidgity! Killed one last Sat morning. In stand by 6:50am. Shooting light at 7:15am. Shot deer at 7:18am! PERFECT day! One I didn't have to dress out in the dark!
                    (One of my pet peeves! Dressing deer in the dark!)

Bubba

Comment

i always get there an hour before. works for me.

Comment

i'm always in my stand an hour before sunrise. in ohio, you're allowed to shoot a half hour before sunrise, and i have found that thirty minutes is plenty of time for everything to settle down and get set in before hunt time.

Comment

I would say go in 45 mins before daylight that gives deer a chance to calm down after you walk in.

Comment

I like to be in my stand 30 to 45 minutes before daylight. It gives the game and me time to settle down . Anything that you spook going in usually will settle down in that period of time. I have found over 50 years that deer really have a short memory. I think that sometimes we give them more credit than they deserve. Believe it or not they don't reason like we do.

Comment

sometimes you just have to expriment but 1/2 hr. for the most part is normal

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad