• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i am looking for my first deer rifle what woud be a good one

i am looking for my first deer rifle what woud be a good one

How about a Remington 700bdl in 30-06.

Comment

Remington 700BDL .270 Winchester, Ruger M77 MarkII .270 Winchester, Weatherby Vangard .270 Winchester.

Comment

remington 700

Comment

I would go with a 30-06. I preferr Remington 700.

Comment

If you're going for good price, check out the line of marlin bolt actions or savage. If you want something a little more expensive, but a superb rifle, check out the ruger m77 or remington 700. I prefer the .308 win. Marlin has now added this caliber in their XS7 line.

Comment

I have shot three different rifles. A .243, .260, and a .270. Depending on where you are hunting should determine the caliber. I hunt in North Carolina and love my .270. It has the reach I need and the knockdown i like, but alot of it has to do with your bullet selection.

Comment

Depends on where and what kind of deer you plan to hunt. My first deer rifle was a Marlin 1894 in 44 magnum. But that was for whitetails in Indiana at ranges of 150 yards or less. I think a great and versatile deer rifle would be a Marlin model 336 in 35 Remington or 30-30 Winchester.

Comment

Well depends on what state your in if your state allows high powered rifles then I would use a 30 6. But if your not allowed high powered rifles I would use a black powder rifle, or a high powered shotgun

Comment

Remington 700 and if Mule Deer is the largest on your wish list, a 25-06 will do you a mighty fine job! And if Elk is on, the 25-06 will do the job may lean more towards the 30-06!!

Comment

30-30 winchester is always a good gun to start out with

Comment

I would go with .308 for one reason. Since this is your first deer rifle, you probably need to do a lot of practicing. Other than .223, this is just about the cheapest centerfire ammo you can get. This way you can get a lot of trigger time without breaking the bank. That, and the recoil is minimal.

Comment

Get a Remington M-700 with a Leupold 3x-9x in '06 and be happy.

Comment

The answers above are good ones. It depends on where you live, what you will hunt, how old you are, how big you are. I would add the Browning Micro Hunter to the list as an option for a youth rifle or if you are small of stature. Chambered in 7mm-08 it will make a great deer rifle for you. My wife hunts with one and absolutely loves it. She has taken deer and wild hogs with it. Recoil is mild but the cartridge is very potent.

Comment

30-30 savage would be a good gun

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad