Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sticking with the WSSM theme: A buddy of mine found a good deal on a .25 WSSM (they practically have to give them away to sell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Leave a comment:

• Beekeeper
    replied
    The cartridge delivers ballistics between the .257 Roberts and the 25/06. Many a deer has fallen to both of those rounds. The quarter bore is more than adequate for deer. the 25/06 is one of my favorite cartridges. Getting the little darlings (super short mags) to feed has been the problem.

Leave a comment:

• hjohn429
    replied
    I would not shoot a deer with a .25 WSSM.

Leave a comment:

• 007Dom
    replied
    I dont know probobly not it would like completely blow the deer away

Leave a comment:

• jay
    replied

steve182 said it all. IMO, there is no advantages to the short magnums and only disadvantages.

Leave a comment:

• steve182
    replied
    I'm not buying into the whole "SuperShortMagnunm" thing, but a .25 is actually ideal for deer. The .257 roberts, 25/06, as well as the 6 and 6.5 mm cartridges are also great for deer hunting. I would stick with an old reliable cartridge like these instead of some "Really Really Extra Super Short and Fat" gimmick that may not last.

Leave a comment:

• thuroy
    replied
    A 25-06 is a great dear load, and 25wssm offers similar ballistics and bullet weights. Plus most of the tracking will involve the instant pile-up.

Leave a comment:

• victorytw228
    replied
    Yes it will kill a deer. Ammo has alot to do with the being able to find the deer though. If he is worried about blood trail I would shoot win ballistic tips. I think he can find them in 115 gr. They will leave a awfully nasty exit hole. And that bullet flys pretty darn fast so it should go all the way through. I myself would like something a little bit bigger.

Leave a comment:

• ishawooa
    replied
    I'd bust the buck with a 117 gr if I could get the short fat sucker to feed. A friend in a nearby town bought one which is quite effective as a killing machine much like a .25-'06 but sometimes followup shots are tough while trying to use his cold fingers to finalize the reload. He would trade it for a .25-06 but no one wants it including the store that convinced him to buy it in the first place. A former student of mine had one of those .22 super short whatevers and said he continuously had failures to feed. His targets were no better and usually not as good as those produced by my old worn out .22-.250. Just looks like and must be an ackward family of cartridges to handle. I suppose the gunmakers and ammo manufacturers have sold about all the popular rounds to everyone that wants one so need another product for the market. I have no personal experience with any of them other than observation and listening to comments which was enough for me to forget them and simply say "good luck boys".

Leave a comment:

• Sticking with the WSSM theme: A buddy of mine found a good deal on a .25 WSSM (they practically have to give them away to sell

Sticking with the WSSM theme: A buddy of mine found a good deal on a .25 WSSM (they practically have to give them away to sell them). I asked why in the world he bought a .25 WSSM. His response was, "I'm gonna deer hunt with it!" I just replied with a long "ooooooooooooookkkkkkkkkkk". The cartridge itself can't be longer than 1 1/4 inches. I know it will KILL a deer, but will he be able to find the deer after he shoots it? Will it make a big enough exit hole or even make one for that matter? Would you shoot a deer with it?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad