Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have any good suggestions to keep a rat [email protected]#$& from stealing your treestands? Mine have came up missing 2 years in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try A hidden trail cam

Comment

beers123 with the season done just wondering how you made out. Hope you got a deer and who ever was taking your stuff read these posts and had a flash of conscious

Comment

I would mark the stand so that when I found it I could prove that it was mine, if that happens.

Comment

Also had one stolen this year that was locked up good. There had got to be a way to stick a little GPS chip inside the stand frame (or a stand company.....wink wink) that might begin to manufacture a stand with a GPS locator within it. The technology is getting a little cheaper and I'd be willing to pay a little extra to have piece of mind. I'd even prefer to not say it on the stand itself. I might not even lock the darn thing, just so that I (or the police) could track the thief down!!!

Comment

They make a double sided bracket ( you can buy sets of 3 ). One side goes on the tree permenantly, the other on the back of your stand. Then you just climb up, set the two ends of the bracket together, and ratchet it on. THe only other thing we be to either use portable climbing sticks or peg the tree as you climb. Then pull them out as you climb down. The good news is, a hang on should only weigh like 5 pounds or so, so it wouldnt be too hard to carry in with you, hoist up your rope and latch in.

Comment

paint it as ugly as you possibly can! purple is best. no one likes that color and deer won't care . put grease on rails after your paint dries. i did it and my tree stand is still there after three years. plenty deer go by

Comment

Hunt the sons of Witches that are steeling your stands. I'd set up a well hidden trail cam to catch then of either stake them out myself.

Comment

sit out there at night and snipe them haha

Comment

Several years ago I had permission from the co-owner of a piece of land to put up ladder stand. I put up a nice stand built on a camo painted aluminum extension ladder. It was there all season, right after the season was over, the guy who gave me permission told me that the ladder part of the stand had been stolen. I went to the spot to retrieve the platform which the thief did not take and realized that the person who stole it was not a hunter, but was likely the either the co owner or even the guy who gave me permission to hunt there. As they were painters by trade I later visited their jobsite and am quite sure that my extension ladder, although with a new coat of paint was being used on the job. So much for being friends with that SOB.

Comment

I said all that to get to this, it may be the land owner that took your stuff.

Comment

If you're using hang-ons then just remove the bottom steps. Depenfing on the ladder stand you might beable to remove a bottom ladder secton or two.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad