Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have any good suggestions to keep a rat [email protected]#$& from stealing your treestands? Mine have came up missing 2 years in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have any good suggestions to keep a rat [email protected]#$& from stealing your treestands? Mine have came up missing 2 years in

Does anyone have any good suggestions to keep a rat [email protected]#$& from stealing your treestands? Mine have came up missing 2 years in a row from a family farm. This year I thought that I would put a treestand lock on it and they freaking broke that. I know I am not the only one that this has happened to so I looking for some ideas on how to stop the thieving sons of @#$%&'s.

I have been locking ladders up for 35 years in some real crappy areas Best method get yourself a braided steel cable 3/8" thick with loops crimped on both ends long enough to weave thru the rungs of the stand and around the tree here and there. Lastly get a good lock the best is shaped like a disk Keep all the security off the ground as far as possible. The cable and lock CANNOT be cut with bolt cutters.

Comment

Sorry to here that, but locks are to keep honest people honest! over the years I to have lost t~standes
      Try rapping cables around the stand and placeing the lock in the back of the tree trunk, or take it down
      at the end of the season.

Comment

Lost 3 cameras and a treestand plus ladder sticks the past two years. i am frustrated with my fellow hunters to say the least. No matter what you do (lock wise) some scumbag will cut you lock and steal your stuff. I can only hope for Karma, or that the idiot is dumb enough to use my stuff near where it was stolen.

Comment

i agree with carl. just use some better defense. i really can't understand how other hunters can do stuff like that. that's lower than low

Comment

Trust me if I had a nickel for every lock I cut lock I drilled, door I breached, truck I had to get into legally I would be rich. The only way into that lock is with a Bump Key something not readly avalible.

Comment

mshibbins it come down to The Haves and Have Nots!
              We have it and thay Want it

Comment

We had a rash of break-ins on our TOOL CARTS in the 70's some of the vets went the HARMLESS EXPLOSIVE DYE TRIP WIRE ROUTE. It stopped, it was funny but we were'nt dealing with with the public at large.

Comment

The people who do this are scum, and short of being out there 24/7 there is nothing to be done. I will say I believe what you do comes back on you so hopefully these lowlifes will have a real bad day sometime soon.

Comment

Treestand
                    The funny thing about the take it down at the end of the season is that the stand was there all winter and summer and I have hunted it 3-4 times this year and in a 7 day period is when they came in and did all this. That is what really irritates me. And the fact that they did it to my girlfriends stand that I got her for Christmas had her seeing red.

Comment

have you tried putting up an ir trail-cam where it could get a picture, but not easily seen?

Comment

im with carl's first post there, make it so obnoxious to steal that they loose intrest. If someone wants something bad enough they'll take it anyway but you can at least make them work hard for it.

Comment

beers123: I think you narrowed your field to "NOT A LOCAL" I am sorry to say. Just remember it was'nt me.

Comment

One more thing anybody new hunt the farm next door or do you see the stand fron a public road.

Comment

Carl.
                              My thought was that it is a Local because i park my truck on the road and the woods is not very big 5 acres or so. I think they watch for my truck to be there and not to be and they go right in knowing I don't hunt there alot. You can not see the stand from the road and I know the people on surrounding farms.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad