Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what kind of stand would you suggest for a new bow hunter that would not be supper expensive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what kind of stand would you suggest for a new bow hunter that would not be supper expensive?

what kind of stand would you suggest for a new bow hunter that would not be supper expensive?

Get a $80 stand and modify it to fit your needs. (padded seat, small platform for thermacell or other gear, etc.)

Comment

a hang on or a ladder stand would be the cheapest. i like hang on stand because you can adjust the hieght. and climbing pegs are pretty cheap.

Comment

i bought a hang on stand for 40$ and a set of climbing sticks for 40$. You can also get screw in pegs to climb wouldn't recommend for climbing the whole tree but and extra handle at the top to help get in the stand is great. Ladder stands are also relatively cheap but i sometimes have trouble brushing these stands in. A decent climber which is one of my most valuable tools is $100.

Comment

I use the Rivers Edge hang on tree stand. Mainly for the seat, it keeps your rear warm and does not lose its shape after a season. You can find them most places, gander mountain or Cabelas usually have them on sale.

Comment

You can purchase ladder stands at some sporting goods stores for as little as $50-$60. I've seen good deals at both Gander Mountain and Dick's Sporting Goods.

Comment

I recommend shopping around for a ladder stand at Sportsman's Guide or Bass Pro Shops. Some important things to consider are height, comfort, and shooting rail. I like to use a ladder stand that is at least 16ft. to the seat. Be sure that you get a good, thick seat pad so that you are comfortable and can sit for long periods of time. Lastly, a padded shooting rail is invaluable if you might have the chance at long range shots.
              Be sure and secure with a strong ratchet strap for safety, and a inexpensive hook to put on the tree for hanging gear.

Comment

Ladders and Hang-ons are cheap and effective. For a beginner, I'd suggest ladder just because I feel they are a little safer to sit in. Cheap hang-ons tend to have smaller platforms, which can be tricky to maneuver on and obtain good shooting form for a novice.

Comment

maybe if your good in the air and not heavy built, a hang on might work for you, I prefer a ladder stand cause it is more stable for me and I am a big guy, also it was fairly cheap, not too heavy to carry, it is easy to put up and I can sit very comfortably on it for many hours

Comment

Ladder stands are the best bang for your buck. They are relatively inexpensive and you can get a pretty good one for a reasonable price. They do tie you down to one spot but you can move them from time to time. They definitely give you a better feel in the safety area. I highly recommend a good safety harness. Good Luck using your stand. It's hard to go back to hunting on the ground once you get used to being in the tree tops!

Comment

i would suggest either a climbing treestand or ladder stand for optimum comfort and stability. a good climber typically ranges from $150-300 and ladder stands can range anywhere from $100-300 . hang-on stands are cheaper (usually around $75) and are used with climbing sticks (about$40). if you are hunting in thicker woods, i would reccommend either the climber or hang-on stands. if you are hunting in open fields i would suggest the ladder stand
                      hope this helps

Comment

Welcome to the great sport of Bowhunting!

I would recommend a basic ladder stand for a new hunter. It is safer to climb, very sturdy and quiet, and inexpensive.I recommend purchasing a extra ratchet strap for the tree brace, replacing the string. I would also recommend one with the short side rails, which seem to help you feel safer,especially in the dark.

If you are also gun hunting, I would recommend a ladder stand with a flip up shooting rail for resting your firearm. This makes a huge difference in placing a accurate shot!

I have hunted climbing stands which some have very comfortable seats, but I find them noisey and cumbersome, especially for a beginner, also fixed position "hang on" stands,which have small platforms and seats which make you feel insecure. I use all types, but like the ladder stands WAY more than the others.

I would also STRONGLY suggest a high quality safety vest. NOT the cheap/tangled mess which came free with your treestand! Spend the money here, where it is most important! $150 is not out of line here! Also I recommend the "quick connect" type of tree strap so you are not fumbling around in the dark, making metallic safety strap buckle noises. Also check out the "lifeline" climbing rope system, in my mind a must if using a hang on type treestand. Not to sound like I am endorsing any particular brand, I am just familiar with what I have. Here is a link http://www.huntersafetysystem.com/

Perhaps I am getting old. I like to think smarter, or cautious, but you must realize that if you fall while in your stand, you very likely get hurt, and at best just break a leg. It could also have a much worse outcome! Whatever happens, your hunting season will likely be over, hopefully that is all!

Good luck! Hunt safe, Hunt ethically, Hunt hard!

Comment

I strongly suggest a ladder stand. I've hunted from many different type stands for over 30 years & found these types stands to be really comfortable and safe if you get one that's closed in. A 2 man is more roomy & doesn't cost much more. The main drawback is they are not very mobile & can be time consuming setting up-they're designed to be set up & left for extended periods. On the plus side they are quick & quiet to get into which gives you extra hunting time and eliminates leaving extra scent on the ground that often happens when using climbing stands. Good Luck.

Comment

There was a 49.00 Ladder stand on Sportsman Guide that was 16 feet tall with rails and prop at the bottom for fastening to a tree
                            jim

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to topic
                              by franchi20
                              Pick edit at the bottom of your post; choices will show up in a bar and include "delete". That will do what you want. Just for fun, l purposely...
                              Today, 07:03 PM
                            • topic
                              by jhjimbo
                              08-06-2022, 08:29 PM
                            • Reply to Looking for a grain mill.
                              by FirstBubba
                              Back in the mid 80's, I was working as a rough carpenter in Dallas.
                              Showed up for work one morning and there was this dirty, longhaired, ragged...
                              Today, 06:45 PM
                            • Looking for a grain mill.
                              by FirstBubba
                              Recently found a local "niche" market for home ground whole wheat flour and cornmeal.
                              I have one grain mill, but a second would mean I...
                              08-06-2022, 04:34 PM
                            • Reply to topic
                              by Danbo
                              I have erased topics I decided not to keep up.
                              We're just having fun,
                              This is also the most interesting topic currently going in my opini...
                              Today, 06:35 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X