Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This upcoming deer season, me and a few buddies are planning on hiking 5+ miles back into a wilderness area in VA, to camp out a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This upcoming deer season, me and a few buddies are planning on hiking 5+ miles back into a wilderness area in VA, to camp out a

This upcoming deer season, me and a few buddies are planning on hiking 5+ miles back into a wilderness area in VA, to camp out and hunt whitetails for a few days. My questions is, people who have done this, what were those items that once you were out there that you thought, Man I wish we had brought ______, it would be so useful right now. Want to make sure I am not forgetting anything, have all the basic neccesities all ready. Thanks

Playing Cards and a flask for when the sun goes down. Which one are you heading too? I have hunted the Mountain Lake Wilderness Area and had some great buck encounters but no shot opportunities. If you are in that one just make sure you don't wonder into WV.

Comment

vtbluegrass, right now we are debating between Ramseys Draft & St. Marys, but just might have to throw Mountain Lake into the discussion.

Comment

That extra roll of toilet paper or the Vick's sore throat spray.

Comment

Take a high quality multipurpose tool such as those made by Leatherman, Buck or Gerber.

Bug spray. Lots of it.

A water filter or water purifier.

Lots of waterproof matches and two or three cheap Bic lighters, sealed in two different ziplock bags.

Put several dozen Handi-Wipes in a ziplock bag and take it with you. (They'll help keep you clean, discarded ones are excellent for starting a campfire with, and they're lightweight.)

Chapstick and sunscreen.

A good pair of stout broken-in gloves. (They come in handy when handling hot stuff around the campfire, and many other myriad ways, too.)

A high quality lightweight backpacking stove, preferably one that will use any number of different fuels. Sufficient pots, bowls, plexi-cups and utensils to supply your crew.

Comment

Knife, flashlight, .44 mag/ammo, water purifier, toothbrush, toilet paper, fire starter, prescription medication, sun protectant, sunglasses, extra contact lenses or eyeglasses, easy to forget one of them.

Comment

compass and topo map. Plus all of the above.

Comment

Here's one nobody mentioned...kool-aid powder. If you are going to be boiling water from a local source for drinking, some kool-aid or similar drink mix can make bad tasting water much more tolerable. It is light, takes up little space in a pack and the sugar free variety needs nothing added but water. If the water is good and you don't need it, no big deal, it wasn't exactly a pain to carry in.

Comment

After you have packed all of your needs, don't forget the camera, with extra,extra,batteries.

Comment

Take a battery operated TV/VCR combo and a DVD of "Deliverance".

Comment

Agreed with T.W. Davidson answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad