7.62x39, a deer caliber or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by srvcman39 View Post
    I have used this round the last 2 years and harvested 5 deer with it. Not one made it more then 30 feet without dropping (3 of the 5 were 100-140 yards). The picture is from last weekend and my gun opener was done in 2 hours. I have been using Hornady SST BLACK 123 grain. Click image for larger version

Name:	opener2020.jpg
Views:	987
Size:	2.81 MB
ID:	761195
    Looks like the proof is in the pudding!
    What kinda rifle are you shooting?
    AR? AK? SKS?

Comment

I contradicted myself. When I first got my SKS and Ruger 7.62X39 I was impressed with the round. As I became more familiar with the round my opinion changed to it is a decent 100yd round. However, if I had a 30-30 or something else I would probably leave the Ruger - 30 or SKS home. Too many other better choices. But, if it is all you have, get close and pick your shot carefully.

Comment

It will kill fine with the right bullet and proper bullet placement.

Comment

Without trying to stir up a ".30-06 vs .270" fight all over again, my (ahem!) learned opinion is that the 7.62×39 in a semi auto platform is basically a "semi auto .30-30 Win".
          It (the cartridge) has proved it's lethality on more than one battlefield around the world.

As a *sporting arm, it should be used with expanding bullets to increase it's effectiveness and like the .30-30 Win, in it's environment, it works very well.

*I never thought I'd deer hunt with an AR! Guess what....?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad