Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clay Cooper, Clearly you're a more experienced and capable shooter than most and a .22-250 is adequate for large deer for you. B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O’Brother, you guys are making it hard for me to pick a winner here and some of you are so close!

Comment

MLH,

The deer were shot were with conventional Remington loads with their 55 grain soft point. We didn't have much else back then. Shots were on animals feeding in the open at 200 yards of less. Some as close as 40 to 50 yards. Shots were to the heart. Seldom did the bullet exit. There was significant damage in the boiler room, but I've seen the same or worse from larger bullets.

Comment

Is that 55gr softpoint at 200 yds, or better yet 250, going to punch through or break the thickest part of the shoulder continuing on to take BOTH lungs? I'm aiming just behind it personally, but we should all agree a shoulder shot isn't uncommon or unethical if you have the right weapon and bullet.

Comment

My experience was only with soft tissue shots, full broadside only. Did not try to break any bones. I wouldn't recommend a shoulder shot with a 55 grain soft point.

Comment

I think we need to go back and define "average". I consider myself an "average" hunter. When I killed the deer as a child I felt I was an expert. This begs another question does the "average" hunter in question know that he is average? Will he pick and choose his shots wisely or is he just blasting? Will he have the patience to wait for the braodside shot or will he just fire and pray? Will the knowledge that a larger caliber gives him more power lead him to aim center mass? will the knowledge that he is shooting the 22-250 cause him to pick a better opportunity? Who is average?

Comment

For over a year now on F&S, I do believe this is the best debate of intellectual minds yet, not like the Cross Bow debate!

I am impressed!!!

Comment

There are times where we ask "can we?", and there are time where we ask "should we?".

Deer can be killed with a varmint round. My grandfather killed his first deer with a .22. But why use a varmint caliber for deer when there are so many deer calibers?

Deer calibers for varmints = good time. Varmint calibers for deer = risky.

Comment

I see you're riding the fence on this one Clay. I totally disagree with the 22-250 300 win mag comparison. Past 200 yards your running out of gas with the 22-250 at 300 you're between 600-700 FP of energy. Most people reccomend around 1000 for killing which my 300 will hold out to 800 yards! I DON'T recomend shooting 1/2 a mile, I wouldn't, but if a guy was up to it there is more than enough power to kill white tails at that range.

Comment

CPT BRAD

Food for thought, mule deer whas hit 3 rounds of 7mm Rem Mag 175 grainers at 100 yards. Deer ran out to 600-700 yards and with one shot with a 22-250 round, BOOM....PLOP!!

Comment

Oh I'm not saying you can't kill deer with a 22-250 or a 22 Mag for that matter, but its kind of like building a house with a handsaw sure you can but do you really want to?

Comment

i read a book, and saw the subsequent movie "Into the Wild" about an idealistic young man who(Christopher McCandless) burned his money, his id's, and fled his well-to-do life in favor of an Alaskan adventure. Was very intriuging. He walk into the Alaskan bush with a .22 rifle. Even managed to kill a MOOSE with it. About 60 days later (+ or -), he was dead. He starved to death. He had no way to store or preserve his kill, and later wrote in his journal that it was the biggest mistake he ever made shooting that moose(I disagree). He eventually ate poisonous mushrooms or plants and starved. MY POINT, if i have one,... He killed a moose with a .22, though i doubt he recommends it. Must've made a good shot though.

Comment

I have seen what a .22 centerfire will accomplish on up to deer weight animals of several species and the results can be spectacular depending on bullet, number of bullets, and the shooter. Since it is a mute point where I usually hunt for the last 28 years due to Game & Fish regs I will stay out of this conversation.

Comment

ishawooa

Don't back out now!

Comment

Stay tuned Sportsfans, I'll answer by noon tomarrow!

Comment

Always interesting and educational debating with you guys.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Just Right
                                  by 99explorer
                                  Jimbo -
                                  It sounds like you carry your pistol in what would be called "Condition Zero" on the 1911, with only the grip safety to prevent...
                                  Today, 03:08 PM
                                • Just Right
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  Has anyone tried the new .31 cal, 30Super Carry. just what the name implies the quintessential between the .30 and the infamous 9mmLuger. Two years...
                                  06-28-2022, 04:59 PM
                                • Reply to TGIF; Armageddon
                                  by PigHunter
                                  At 23, one of my good friends burned to death in a car. The bystanders could not get him out in time....
                                  Today, 03:05 PM
                                • TGIF; Armageddon
                                  by fitch270
                                  Not sure how this week will play out, the idea just came to mind.

Nickelback

“If Today Was Your Last Day”

Yesterday, 07:11 AM
                                • Reply to Jan. 6 committee illegally formed
                                  by 99explorer
                                  Okay, if you say so, but it will have to do until the DOJ convenes a real grand jury.
                                  Today, 01:58 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X