Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clay Cooper, Clearly you're a more experienced and capable shooter than most and a .22-250 is adequate for large deer for you. B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clay Cooper, Clearly you're a more experienced and capable shooter than most and a .22-250 is adequate for large deer for you. B

Clay Cooper, Clearly you're a more experienced and capable shooter than most and a .22-250 is adequate for large deer for you. But will you please agree with me these .22 centerfires are not a great choice for most shooters? Everyone's opinion welcome.

More experienced and capable?? Yeah I'll give him that. :P 22-250 would not be enough gun for most people, even though they would shoot it more accuratly than their super magnum they've got now you have to be nearly surgical with shot placement, and due to low bullet weight the muzzle energy won't stay with it for longer shots.

To sum it up unless you love tracking wounded deer stay in the 24-25s or above.

Comment

The 22-250 is not a deer rifle. Shooting deer with .22 centerfires is a stunt and as such requires precise bullet placement. If you don't like recoil follow CPTBRAD's advice and get something in 24 or 25 caliber.

Comment

Guys, thanks. I was making specific reference to one of Clays answers where he refers to the .22-250 as great for mulies and whitetails. I have one. I'm confident i can kill deer with it, but i have better suited guns for the purpose, and in hunting situations especially, i don't care about recoil.

Comment

I will disagree. Partially anyway, It depends on your conditions. I have killed many deer with the 22-250 at various ranges up to 400 yards. Every time my bullet passed through and dropped the deer within 10-20 foot of where they were standing.

The person firing the rifle is exponentially more important than the round. My first deer was about 100 yards, double lung, drop in your tracks with a 22-250. What that does not show is that my father would not let me carry a rifle until I could put 10 rounds in a three inch circle at 200 yards. He made sure that I was accurate and confident with the rifle. It was not a stunt and neither were any of the others I have killed since that day.

Just FYI, every deer that I have ever lost have been with a .30 or larger, except one that I made a poor decision on with a .270.

Comment

A 22-250 with the right bullet can be effective if used correctly. However, most people are looking for 1000 pounds of energy which a 22-250 doesn't have much more than that at 100 yards. But accuracy is key which you can shoot a low recoil gun without developing the yipps.

Comment

Clay I agree,loaded with a heavy bullet such as 60grain Nosler it is capable but shot placemant must be precise and you have no room for errer and I dont think alot of people would take the time to practice those shots.

Comment

We were having a discussion about this on the recent "bucking slug recoil" blog post.

I have serious doubts that the muzzle energy has any direct correlation to how far you have to track a deer.

I have had to track deer hundreds of yards after two kill zone shots with 12 ga. slugs at 50 yds, on the other hand we've see "bang-flop" kills with a .22-250.

Assuming your round has enough energy to penetrate, (this rules out .22 rimfires and bb-guns) direct hits to the heart and spine are what drop animals in their tracks, not kinetic energy. Keep in mind that your should absorbs the exact same amount of energy as the deer.

A larger caliber bullet, a tumbling bullet, or a mushrooming bullet will create a larger wound tract, thus increasing your chances of hitting the heart of spine. However, the difference in the cross-sectional area of a .30-06 vs a .22-250 is negligible.

So, I think that the superior killing power of larger rounds is largely in our heads.(likely testosterone induced) A flat-shooting round that you can accurately place will produce as many if not more "bang-flop" kills as a heavy caliber round.

Comment

WOW, you guys are doing the best job of discussion NO JOKE!

I do have an answer for you; however I’m going to give the person all credit for doing so!

It’s time today feelings are set aside and start basing on facts!!

I started a firestorm of learning here and I’m going to let it play out a little!

Comment

feelings are set aside and start basing on facts?

What a clue!!!

Comment

Keep in mind guys i said "most shooters." I don't think most shooters are as proficient as you military men, therefore what works for you should not nessecarily be recommended to average shooters.

Comment

There is a great article on shooting deer with .22 caliber centerfire rifles in Nosler Reloading Manual #4 (I think, perhaps 3). It is by John Nosler and he relates how the state of Oregon asked him to hunt with high velocity .22 centerfires during deer season and provide feed back on a proposed rule change. He chose the .225 Winchester, a cartridge very similar in all respects to the .22/250. He did not always get the much vaunted bang/flop and found that tracking a deer shot with a .22 diameter bullet was miserable work. His vote, shoot them with something bigger.

I have a farmer friend who deer hunts with a .22/250. He swears by it and friends I don't want him lining me up in the cross wires. He also owns several tracking dogs and will admit to using them frequently when things don't quite line up right.

That said, I did some work collecting deer for an EHD study when I was an undergrad (years ago...). The shooting was done with a .22/250 at night. With perfect shot placement the deer did fall at bullet strike. I also did some sampling with a .22 long rifle in more urban areas and at short range (less than 40 yards) a CCI mini mag in the ear hole will kill them on impact also. But it is still a stunt for those who can shoot well and are calm and cool on the trigger. The average Joe Deerhunter is not that calm and not that cool. That is why I hear entire magazines from Remington 742 Woodsblasters emptied on opening day.

I also work frequently with animal control officers. their choice for shooting hundreds of problem deer every year are silenced Remington 700 Senderos in .270. The load, a 100 grain bullet at about 2,650. They don't like the .22/250 for said work because of the ocassional on that gets away...

It is not that this tool can't do the job, it is more like is this the best tool for the job...?

Comment

I am curious what the insides of the deer looked like after getting hit at fairly close range with a .22-250. I take it you're not using ballistic tips.

Comment

I see where you are going with this steve, but no bullet will make up for a poor shot. You can cripple just as many deer with an ultra mag as you can with a 22-250. We can talk energy, sectional density, etc, etc. but the fact remains the 22-250 is a perfectly capable and efficient deer rifle.

Any reasonable and ethical shot by an average hunter that would kill a deer with a .300 win mag would kill a deer just as dead with a 22-250. The questions arise when we start talking about shooting through brush, poor angle of the animal, and shooting beyond average capability.

Comment

Teufelhunden is correct! NO BULLET WILL MAKE UP FOR A POOR SHOT. In other words, bullet placement counts most! That said, I do not recommend .22 anything for whitetail, and that is coming from the guy who killed two whitetail and one muj FO with the .223. Semper Fi.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad