Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what was your first deer?

what was your first deer?

One of the nicest whitetail bucks I ever killed but I missed him the first shot. He was running and I didn't realize that was not a good time to shoot. Somehow the second shot dropped him. I doubt I would even attempt the shot today, probably to old and slow anyhow.

Comment

A 6 point whitetail, shot him in the neck while he was standing in some timber.

Comment

ten point buck at 100 yards with a muzzleloader and scope. Inline.

Comment

Spike Whitetail, I was seven years old and had been squirrel & rabbit hunting with with my Dad for 2 years by that time.

On that afternoon my Dad and uncle put me in a ground blind and went back to the truck because both had forgotten their ammo. My Dad was going to sit with me. My Dad told me to stay put and keep my eyes open and only load my little Marlin .44 mag carbine if I saw a deer. He and my uncle would be back in about 10 minutes. It was only 200 yards back to the truck, we were on our farm and I was competant in handling a firearm so neither was worried about leaving me in the blind. (as my Dad told me in later years)

They weren't gone 5 minutes when this 1.5 year old spike came dundering along under the full effects of the rut. He stopped broadside at 15 steps and stood looking around. I reached into my pocket, calmly pulled out a round, carefully eased it into the chamber as I had been taught, closed the lever, and presently dispatched the young buck with a shoulder shot. He fell in his tracks without so much as a jerk.

In what seemed like less than a minute my Dad and uncle came running up to the back of the blind demanding to know why I had fired a round. I pointed to the buck out front with a now very shakey hand and finger...Both men sat down on the ground and started laughing. My Dad then hugged me with tears in his eyes and after checking the buck out my Uncle made one of his usual smart comments then mussed up my hair and blooded me good!

Comment

I shot a high Spike in Pa. back when you were allowed to shoot Spikes. Across the hill from camp, back when we were allowed to hunt everything on our mountain. Today it's all posted off mostly. Nowadays i always pass Spikes here where i'm allowed to shoot them, but when i was a kid I was thrilled to see any buck.

Comment

an 130 pound doe i have not killed a buck yet.

Comment

whitetail doe

Comment

A 1 1/2 year old doe, I was 12 and it was the first year i could legally hunt.

Comment

I got a pretty big whitetail doe. It was with a bow so I was VERY nervous and shot her in the spine. Two more shots finished her off, but I felt bad about her suffering. Im fine now though because I will be hunting for the rest of my LIFE!

Comment

7 pt. with a 16-inch spread. Biggest deer I've seen, so far. Not bad for Rowan county, NC!

Comment

A 1 point whitetail. It was a spike with one side broke off. It's one antler measured 9 inches. I can say I shoot a unicorn.

Comment

My first deer was a monster 10-pointer. He was a 155+ 6/4 with a 22-inch spread. I shot him with a 44 magnum Marlin right in the hert. To this day, he is still the best deer I have ever shot. I was 13.

Comment

You never forget your first, Like your fist woman

Comment

whitetail doe, dropped her where she stood with a savage 7mm-08.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad