Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Livestock has been crossbred, linebred, inbred and outcrossed for millenia. How do you feel about this subject when it comes to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Livestock has been crossbred, linebred, inbred and outcrossed for millenia. How do you feel about this subject when it comes to

Livestock has been crossbred, linebred, inbred and outcrossed for millenia. How do you feel about this subject when it comes to Whitetailed Deer. Should we be artifically inseminating does just to produce bigger antlers?

Absolutely NOT! Ther is already too much amphasis placed on antlers as it is.

Comment

I agree with rjbedrock thats not how it works

Comment

I do not think we should touch them. They are a natural life form that we pursue and love. rjbedrock is right there is to much placed on the antlers of deer. Getting a deer with a high score is few and far between. If you change that then everyone will be shooting world class bucks.

Comment

We certainly have performed all of the above in purebred horses ever since someone devised a halter and a leadrope to hold them. I don't know about deer except that in one small in the south years ago, and I assume still today, there existed a herd of spotted deer with a few solid white ones. I never killed a tobiano buck but do have a friend there who did. He tanned the hide and it is very attractive on his law office wall. As far as I know it was never determined how these genetics came about. I know this narative varies somewhat from your question but it does provide imput regarding that sometimes Mother Nature performs the unexpected. I guess I vote for bigger antlers but then I like to trophy hunt. I had much rather see a doe hit the ground than people going around shooting small bucks just to say they did it.

Comment

No. As long as your eating the meat, I don't mind people caring about the antlers, but the best thing about the anlters is they are natural, and created by God. There are already to many high fence facilites that mess with the genetics, we just need to leave it alone.

Comment

Hell no! I think we should let the deer do it themselves (in the wild.)

Comment

Nope. Just let them be.

Comment

Not a fan with wild animals. But it is a high profit business, so will likely continue. It definitely raises a few eyebrows when a huge racked breeding buck brings high bucks ($$$). These aren't supposed to be released into the wild but a few escape and others have been purposely released.

When animals are threatened or endangered or reintroduced we look at that differently. But is it? Kind of a gray matter.

Comment

No I don't think we should be playing with mother nature. I also don't think to highly of high fence pay to hunt ranches either. How can you take any pride in shooting a caged animal?

Comment

No, we shouldn't because we prize the white tail as a wild creature and when we breed it to meet our designs it isn't really wild anymore. It becomes like the Holstein, or the Thoroughbred, or the latest round-up ready corn. Living things that are not found anywhere in nature. When we mess with life we make it better for US but if you put it back into nature it is weaker, more susceptible to disease and less able to compete and survive.

Comment

No, they are just fine the way they are. If we start doing that there will be asteriks in our record books too.

Comment

Whitetail deer antlers are one of the greatest biological marvels. They are one of the fastest growing tissues on the planet, and it didn't take some guy in a white coat to get them that way.

so, HELL NO.

Comment

No

Nate

Comment

No, we should not mess with mother-nature. I have read that in Buffalo County, WI that outfitters in the area let a few big breeders into the wild to boost genetics. Anyone else hear that? If so that's weak. Greed. I know deer farms suffer escapes all the time, thereby spreading artificial genes into the herd. I think we need to leave'm alone, let nature take care of business.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to We Don't NEED
                                by rock rat
                                Turd herder? Bubba did you used to work at the wastewater plant?

Am Flyer, much appreciated but it's kind of a lost cause here.
                                Today, 01:18 PM
                              • We Don't NEED
                                by jhjimbo
                                We may want, but we do not NEED.
                                We don't need a female President just to have a female President. We especially don't need a black female President...
                                Yesterday, 07:33 AM
                              • Reply to We Don't NEED
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                Perhaps it's time to think about scheduling one of Trump's cognitive tests? ...
                                Today, 01:08 PM
                              • Reply to What Would Your World Be Like ?
                                by Amflyer
                                If Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi were alive today, they would not think this meme to be in good taste. Shame on you. ...
                                Today, 01:04 PM
                              • What Would Your World Be Like ?
                                by jhjimbo
                                Have you thought about what your world would be like if you could not legally own a firearm ??...
                                Yesterday, 04:12 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X