Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone here ever SHOT a mink? i trapped one that didn't drown...... mean little suckers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone here ever SHOT a mink? i trapped one that didn't drown...... mean little suckers

anyone here ever SHOT a mink? i trapped one that didn't drown...... mean little suckers

A true weasel through and through...

Comment

The neighbor's kid trapped an ermine and shot it. He thought it was dead but when he attempted to open the trap it came around leaving him with the same impression that you have concerning minks.

Comment

why shoot mink they dont hurt anyone,(unless there in your trash)

Comment

because thier pelts are worth MONEY and they are really hard on the muskrat population

Comment

because thier pelts are worth MONEY and they are really hard on the muskrat population

Comment

will... you're a damn killer.

Comment

A truly beautiful and facinating animal! I was so intrigued by them, I started raising them to be able to observe and be around them. I kept about 300 of them and I also picked up quite a few on my muskrat trap line by accident. No doubt in my mind that ounce per ounce they are the most deadly hunters on the planet. They move so fast, they literally dissapear; they climb well enough to outdo a squirel; they swim well enough to catch fish. They are so tenacious; defending their territory with a fury like few preditors. I have seen them attack dogs, cats, and people to defend territory. I have several scars on my hands from being attacked by them when they knew they needed to defend themselves. I've never shot one because I didn't want to ruin the fur. I used to think it was gold and so beautiful... I didn't want to do anything to mar its beauty. They don't get shot too often because they are stealth in action. You rarely see them because they see you first and stay out of sight. I encountered a female with kits in northern Manitoba that didn't know what people were and that was probably the best wild observation I ever had. I once had to drown one that bit through my finger like a toothed vice grip. I couldn't get him to release and had to bear it as I waited 20 minutes for him to drown. I won't get in that situation again. I don't kill them anymore. No amount of money is worth it. I don't blame people for going after the fur. They are a replenishable natural resource... they just have earned too much respect from me.

Comment

Agreed with DakotaMan answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad