Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone use a ghillie suit when bow hunting whitetail? I was thinking of making one and wandering if it was worth the time o

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ninoPlay
    replied
    its good but if your going to make it you would have to be on the back and not the front cause it would tear up the front if your crawling and you cant lay down wile shooting a bow so i would use regular cammo
    I think it will better on the back

Leave a comment:

• amekassa83
    replied
    Originally posted by fliphuntr14 View Post
    i have mixed feelings about my uncles gille i wear it for turkey hunting i don't really see it practical for deer unless your are exparimenting with some funky stand locations. If the deer are seeing you move your stand up or into cover. i may try a intresting tactic using the gille for an sit i saw in a magizine recently where the hunter lays in an alfalfa field and pulls up to shoot when the deer get close enough.
    Save your time and money. You still need Blaze orange so whats the point?

Leave a comment:

• TheGDog
    replied
    3D Leafy Suits work AWESOME while BowHunting from the ground on a Tripod stool! They do NOT get in the way of the string. Learn to slightly bend your bow holding arm just to make extra sure the string CAN'T come into contact with it. Check out The BowNinja's channel on YouTube... your draw weight needs to be dialed down such that you can slowly and quietly draw back that bow without all this grunting and shenanigan movements. For me that's currently 54 Lbs.

And on another occasion... with my bow on my lap... I slowly took out my cellphone and recorded over 15 minutes of video of a Mama Doe and her adolescent Doe... as I was returning to my Tripod stool after having walked about 25 yds to my left along this canyon bottom to urinate... as I returned to my sit...right as I was lowering my body to the stool... I saw the ear flick of the young doe...they started to arise from the maybe 2.5ft tall growth about 40yds to my left... the young doe was very curious about the scent of my urine... and they both eventually checked that out... then decided amble more toward my direction. At the closest point they where 17 yds right out in front of me. NOTHING in between us. NOTHING covering me. I was simply backed up against a scrub oak with the leafy gear on and mesh facemask and liner gloves, and in the shade where the hillside met the flat of this canyon. It's all about you being super careful about your scent, and being good at being able to hold still and not sniff... not cough...not clear your throat... and in the intense moments when they are staring you down... try not to blink hardly at all.

I wear a leafy boonie hat rather than the hood of the jacket and it's great! Breaks up the outline of my head... Very lightweight material so I'm not dying in the heat. I always have a mesh facemask on as well and wear liner gloves to complete the covering. For me... where I go.. I've found this work great to not have bugs be a problem. They occasionally fly up and check you out.. but since you don't move... and the leafies of the suit block them, or better yet, sometimes flutter in the breeze, it sorta shoos them away. The insects TOTALLY key in on your movement too. After you've been sitting there quite some time, they're happily farting around near you here and there and don't know you're there. Then the second you get up to move they wanna be buzzing around ya looking for that sweat on your skin.

With the mesh facemask and the fact that I have to wear glasses for my vision... the only place I occasionally have to shoo them away from is the facial opening on the facemask and just a quiet short puff of air does the trick.

And humans are the worst at detecting you. Sometimes I've had hikers walked past within 25/30yds and they never even knew I was there.

Once on a stand trying to call in BobCats with an eCaller... I didn't know it... and one was 8yds from me, just because he was behind the only vegetation that blocked a little of my FOV. I didn't know it until I began to stand up after 45mins. Mid standing up I realized he was there... he hadn't seen me yet. So I was VERY slow for the rest of standing, he was poised on the ground observing the decoy. I could see his ear tops and the tip of his noise sticking out from behind this smaller low-lying clump of desert/chapparal brush maybe 8-9 inches tall at best. Unfortunately I'd re-gripped the rifle before standing up and he was to my extreme righthand side so there was a lot of movement I had to try to execute to be able to aim at him. Was doing it super slow... and eventually after I had stood up like that my scent disperse in the air and he lifted his nose up and got curious and look around and busted me.

The mesh Kill-Suit Ghillie Suits are a great option for rifle hunting predators... no way you'd be able to use them for Bow though.

Leave a comment:

• Bridger Park
    replied
    Originally posted by James Alina View Post
    Most novice hunters think they need to be a chameleon. The truth is deer are colorblind. You could wear a Santa clause suit if u like. Deer see in shades of grey the darker the color , the darker shade of grey they see. Most important is scent. I put my carhartt bibs (brown) and my wool ( green military) pull over sweater in a trash bag with some pine clipping in with it, in the garage. it never comes in the house. So to avoid unnecessary smells or odors. 2nd . movement. Hunting from a tree stand helps. Ground blinds, natural preferred, do to scent again, will mask movement when calling your quarry. If you stalk,, then wind, scent, using terrain features, like ditch lines , just below ridge lines, following dried up river beds and so on are all important.. Hunters should focus more on scouting, learning their preys habits , feeding areas, and were fresh water resources are, then worrying about cammo, to have successful and more enjoyable hunts. For every hour you plan to sit in the woods to hunt, you should spend 3 to 4 hours scouting. Good luck and safe hunting.
    deer are red green colorblind. which means they can see in color but they're limited to short blue and middle green wavelengths

Leave a comment:

• Barrie North_2
    replied
    Want to combine the 3D leaf of a ghillie suit and blaze orange safety? Check out this new product - www.see3dcamo.com

Leave a comment:

• James Alina
    replied
    Most novice hunters think they need to be a chameleon. The truth is deer are colorblind. You could wear a Santa clause suit if u like. Deer see in shades of grey the darker the color , the darker shade of grey they see. Most important is scent. I put my carhartt bibs (brown) and my wool ( green military) pull over sweater in a trash bag with some pine clipping in with it, in the garage. it never comes in the house. So to avoid unnecessary smells or odors. 2nd . movement. Hunting from a tree stand helps. Ground blinds, natural preferred, do to scent again, will mask movement when calling your quarry. If you stalk,, then wind, scent, using terrain features, like ditch lines , just below ridge lines, following dried up river beds and so on are all important.. Hunters should focus more on scouting, learning their preys habits , feeding areas, and were fresh water resources are, then worrying about cammo, to have successful and more enjoyable hunts. For every hour you plan to sit in the woods to hunt, you should spend 3 to 4 hours scouting. Good luck and safe hunting.

Leave a comment:

• ghillies
    replied
    I really love hunting with my ghillie suit. You should check out some of the light weight ghillie suits you can buy nowadays. They make it so much easier to move around. I got mine on www.onedirtyghillie.com and wouldnt go back to hunt without one!

Leave a comment:

• coehlo
    replied
    i have a cabelas hardwoods gillie suit.i wouldnt give it up for the world.i like my old camo, but see more and get closer with the gillie.its great in all seasons. i would recommend getting a size or two larger so you can wear warmer clothes underneith it for in the colder winter monthes. mine cost me $250 for everything j/p/h/m. if you r thinking of making your own, cabelas has kits. either way it is worth the money and time and energy to have the gillie to see more and get closer to the animals.

Leave a comment:

• totaloutdoorsman94
    replied
    lefthandedshooter, I only mentioned that you could purchase a ghillie because michaelpoage seemed to be concered with the effort it would take to make a suit and was it worth it. I did not purchase my ghillie and I do agree that it is more cost-effective to make your own.

Leave a comment:

• lefthandedshooter
    replied
    totaloutdooorsman94 well not to be ruid but not all of us has the money and i found one at a store and their was patches that had no burlap huge patches. and its cheaper to make it then to buy one

Leave a comment:

• totaloutdoorsman94
    replied
    I've used a ghillie for a couple of seasons now and I haven't gone back. Here in Al you don't have to wear blaze in bow season and the above suggested "problems" are an easy fix. First you want to make sure you're arm that grips the bow is trimmed on the inside to avoid the string getting caught in the burlap. As far as getting tangled up goes-wait until you get set up before putting on the ghillie-if you do a spot and stalk then I suggest some knee boots-you can tuck the excess material into the boot and walk without tangle. I typically avoid the hood when I'm bow hunting and just put either a face mask or some camo paint on instead. A ghillie is meant to fool humans in the field of battle so you know it will fool a deer. Good Luck and Good Hunting. P.S. you can order one for around $100 so as to avoid having to make one yourself.

Leave a comment:

• lefthandedshooter
    replied
    its good but if your going to make it you would have to be on the back and not the front cause it would tear up the front if your crawling and you cant lay down wile shooting a bow so i would use regular cammo

Leave a comment:

• shane
    replied
    I think they are good for hiding snipers from a discerning human eye. I have killed deer on the ground at almost knife ranges with just regular camo and a painted face. I don't think they're necessary for anyone that can sit very still/move very slowly and not smell up the whole darn forest.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    I use 3D leafe in my T~stand,as for ghillie suits are
    for Turkey and song/dogs hunting, Camo is good but its sent and wind that makes the shot or No shot.
    in NY you have to ware Blaze Orange,or Blaze Camo
    on all state land.back in the Day.

Leave a comment:

• fliphuntr14
    replied
    i have mixed feelings about my uncles gille i wear it for turkey hunting i don't really see it practical for deer unless your are exparimenting with some funky stand locations. If the deer are seeing you move your stand up or into cover. i may try a intresting tactic using the gille for an sit i saw in a magizine recently where the hunter lays in an alfalfa field and pulls up to shoot when the deer get close enough.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad