Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone use a ghillie suit when bow hunting whitetail? I was thinking of making one and wandering if it was worth the time o

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone use a ghillie suit when bow hunting whitetail? I was thinking of making one and wandering if it was worth the time o

Does anyone use a ghillie suit when bow hunting whitetail? I was thinking of making one and wandering if it was worth the time or if my woodland coveralls and sent control is as good as it gets

Save your time and money. You still need Blaze orange so whats the point?

Comment

Depends where he's at.. In SD you don't need orange during archery season.. I think a ghillie suit can be very good as long as it's made to match the hunting area. That's if you hunt territory anything like where I am. Anything with some wooded cover can be matched with many traditional camo's.. The prairie I hunt is tough to match with traditional camo and I've thought about making a ghillie manny times..

Comment

I sit corrected!!! 8^D

Comment

I use a 3D suit from Cabelas. Deer walk right by and never notice unless I move or they smell me.

Comment

Bow hunting in a ghillie suit offers several problems.

While moving through the brush the material will catch on anything and everything. This makes moving through the woods awkward and stalking close to game near impossible.

I find it difficult to shoot while wearing a ghillie suit. Between the thick arms and the heavy hooded mask it's tough get a good bead on your target.

Ghillie suits are good for sitting stationary on the ground. Wrap your bow arm tight so your string does not hit your arm and cut out the face mask to give you an increased field of vision (less head movement) and a better look when you draw your bow.

Comment

While moving my ghillie suit is rolled up loose fabric to the inside with a shoulder strap attached for ease of carry.
              Cut away all the loose material on the inside of your bow arm so the string doesn't catch. Use camo face paint or headnet rather than the ghillie hood front material in order to see better. The deer do not seem to notice.
              Make sure the suit you get or make is from non reflective material. Polyester ghillie suits while light and east to wear reflect light back to the game's eye on sunny days. Much like tinsel fluttering in the breeze. I prefer wool or 100% cotton as second choice. Being wool is hair it absorbs light much like a deer's hide which is what helps make them so hard to see.
              Enjoy having the ability to hide in plain sight adds a lot of excitement to the hunt.
              later,
              charlie

Comment

More often than not, they are more trouble than what they are worth, but it's all a matter of preference. Hunters used to kill deer in red wool shirts and blue jeans because that was the hunting fashion trend at the time. The new trend is camo everything and ghillie suits. Is it necessary? Not at all. The most necessary things you need to deer hunt are a good knowledge of deer patterns and movements, warm and comfortable clothing (doesn't need to be camo), wind direction, instict, a weapon, and a little bit of luck.

Just keep in mind that junk hanging off your body has the potential to get caught up in a lot of stuff, including your bow string when firing. My preference is for clothing that is warm, fits nice, is comfortable when I draw, and doesn't catch on my string when I release. Good luck!

Comment

i have mixed feelings about my uncles gille i wear it for turkey hunting i don't really see it practical for deer unless your are exparimenting with some funky stand locations. If the deer are seeing you move your stand up or into cover. i may try a intresting tactic using the gille for an sit i saw in a magizine recently where the hunter lays in an alfalfa field and pulls up to shoot when the deer get close enough.

Comment

I use 3D leafe in my T~stand,as for ghillie suits are
                    for Turkey and song/dogs hunting, Camo is good but its sent and wind that makes the shot or No shot.
                    in NY you have to ware Blaze Orange,or Blaze Camo
                    on all state land.back in the Day.

Comment

I think they are good for hiding snipers from a discerning human eye. I have killed deer on the ground at almost knife ranges with just regular camo and a painted face. I don't think they're necessary for anyone that can sit very still/move very slowly and not smell up the whole darn forest.

Comment

its good but if your going to make it you would have to be on the back and not the front cause it would tear up the front if your crawling and you cant lay down wile shooting a bow so i would use regular cammo

Comment

I've used a ghillie for a couple of seasons now and I haven't gone back. Here in Al you don't have to wear blaze in bow season and the above suggested "problems" are an easy fix. First you want to make sure you're arm that grips the bow is trimmed on the inside to avoid the string getting caught in the burlap. As far as getting tangled up goes-wait until you get set up before putting on the ghillie-if you do a spot and stalk then I suggest some knee boots-you can tuck the excess material into the boot and walk without tangle. I typically avoid the hood when I'm bow hunting and just put either a face mask or some camo paint on instead. A ghillie is meant to fool humans in the field of battle so you know it will fool a deer. Good Luck and Good Hunting. P.S. you can order one for around $100 so as to avoid having to make one yourself.

Comment

totaloutdooorsman94 well not to be ruid but not all of us has the money and i found one at a store and their was patches that had no burlap huge patches. and its cheaper to make it then to buy one

Comment

lefthandedshooter, I only mentioned that you could purchase a ghillie because michaelpoage seemed to be concered with the effort it would take to make a suit and was it worth it. I did not purchase my ghillie and I do agree that it is more cost-effective to make your own.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Red Dot's
                                by fitch270
                                I believe the biggest difference would be in speed of target acquisition related to field of view. The tube style have a bit of tunnel vision to them,...
                                Today, 09:48 AM
                              • Red Dot's
                                by jhjimbo
                                What is the difference between a open Red Dot and a scope type Red Dot ? Function, operation, accuracy potential....
                                Today, 09:41 AM
                              • Reply to Are You Ready For This ?
                                by jhjimbo
                                They can also create organs right now with 3d printing. Dr. mentioned that on Tucker show.
                                Univ of Pittsburg has been growing organs for years...
                                Today, 09:44 AM
                              • Are You Ready For This ?
                                by jhjimbo
                                An American Scientist financed by Spain has gone to China to create an ape-human by combining a human embryo with a primate. I don't know why he had...
                                Yesterday, 09:32 PM
                              • Reply to Are You Ready For This ?
                                by fitch270
                                I saw elsewhere the idea, in a nutshell, is to create organ donors for humans.

Planet of the Apes isn’t so far fetched............
                                Today, 09:41 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X