Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need some advice. I live in Central FL and everyone hunts! I've lost my land due to real estate and I'm on the move for some l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some advice. I live in Central FL and everyone hunts! I've lost my land due to real estate and I'm on the move for some l

I need some advice. I live in Central FL and everyone hunts! I've lost my land due to real estate and I'm on the move for some land for next season. I've never went and asked anyone to hunt on their land, its always been avaiable for me. I'm 18 and have no clue how to approach someone on asking them to hunt their land. Up north I think its alot easier, but down here its another ball game. So does anybody have any adive on what to say/offer when asking to hunt their property?

One way to go about it might be to offer to help the landowner out with some work if he needs some help. I am lucky enough to own a piece of property to hunt on and my friends who hunt with me help me keep it up. I recently broke my back and without their help I wouldn't be able to take care of a lot of things. My back is getting better, but I'll never be able to do what I used to do.Oh well...it could be worse...I might have died instead of just getting banged up!

Comment

Do what Mark w said.

Comment

The best hunting I ever had is on Military property, “JOIN THE AIR FORCE”!!

Comment

I live in Florida too and you can hunt public land... Also with all the hogs running around here, you could actually charge people to help kill the hogs they have on their property. Farmers and land owners hate them because they tear up everything. I would just put maybe a paper add out just saying that you will kill hogs for free... I am pretty sure you will get some calls..

Comment

Clay is right he and I have hunted all over the US because of Military careers. GO ARMY.
            I grew up in Lake CO Florida. My brothers still live there. They are members of Blackwater Creek hunting Club. Most good land is locked up in leases. You could hunt a long time in Ocala Nat'l Forest and never get a buck. Years ago I was a Recruiter so if you think military drop me a line before you see a recruiter. I could give you some advice. BTW Ft. Benning and FT Stewart GA have many thousands of acres of good hunting. I shot two 8 point bucks my first tour at Benning.

Comment

Click my username then click my photos and see for yourself all the critters I shot and caught while in the Army. Clay and I are now retired. It was lots of fun I would love to do Alaska again.

Comment

Del do you have an email I can get ahold of you by, because I am going to join SOME type of military but I have no clue which.

as far as the hog deal, I live in marion and I know theres a few people with hog problems but I'm not really THAT close to them, probaly like 45 minutes to any land with that.

I might try the work deal, just ask them in exchange for work. I dont, IM shy about stuff like this but I gotta give it a try.

Comment

You can look for state land. That there you don't have to ask anyone to hunt. Or you can just man up and go ask politely if you can hunt on their land.

Comment

All you can do is ask, but if they say no, then politely thank them for their time and leave. One time when I asked a landowner he told me "No" and I thanked him for his time and told him to have a good day. Before I made it back to my vehicle he called me back to his parch and wrote me permission. He said that I was the only person that thanked him and didn't complain about being rejected. Needless to say, I had the whole woods to myself and we have been good friends ever since.

Comment

what you do if you want a definite yes is get a younger sibling/ relative (under the age of 10), get a bag of candy and tell them they can have it if they help you out. Then have them go up to the door and have them politely ask if you guys can hunt on their land. Its worked for us every time. Just remember that if you shoot something on their land to have the kid thank the landowner.

Comment

Floridahunter1226 had a good answer.I would offer to kill any hogs I saw on their property in return for permission to hunt there.

Comment

Offer some of the meat from whatever you kill there, and offer to do anything else they can think of. Do your best to let them know that you're all about the utmost in ethics and safety.

Comment

Offer them a handshake, be polite. Introduce yourself. Make eye contact. Assure them that you are a responsible and ethical hunter and that you will leave the property in better shape than you found it, i.e. pick up litter, etc. Offer to share the meat with them. And last but not least, ask if there is anything you can help them with. Good luck.

Comment

thanks steve, great advice.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Debate #2: new rules
                                by franchi20
                                I've wondered about the guests on the Q&A site. I think it includes visitors to the main page who never see the Q&A. It's an overall count of...
                                Today, 07:40 PM
                              • Debate #2: new rules
                                by FirstBubba
                                New debate rules change.

Moderator controlled "mute" button.

Who made the request?
                                The "Biden Campaign"!...
                                10-02-2020, 02:10 PM
                              • Reply to What's after Trump?
                                by franchi20
                                Speculation is good mental exercise, but I think it's way too early to worry about the next one while fraught with worry about the crap surrounding this...
                                Today, 07:34 PM
                              • What's after Trump?
                                by FirstBubba
                                No doubt, Trump will prevail Nov 4th.
                                There is no more FDR and Congress eventually enforced the laws restricting a president to a 2 term limit....
                                Today, 01:46 PM
                              • Reply to So is everyone ready for deer season
                                by fitch270
                                The kids have already put two deer in the freezer this year so we're pretty well set. I've been out with the bow just once for an evening sit and saw...
                                Today, 07:01 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X