Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how often do you clean your 22.? i always do but have met peaple who don't

how often do you clean your 22.? i always do but have met peaple who don't

About every 100 rounds or so depending how dirty the ammo shoots or the length of time to be stored. Carbon buildup and lack of lubrication is the #1 failure for auto’s! Carbon builds up in lubricants and becomes microscopic grinding agent along with the dirt.

Comment

I dont think i have ever claened mine

Comment

I run a bore snake through it evertime I shoot it. I clean the whole gun about every 100 rounds like clay.

Comment

about every brick which is 500 rounds.. If you shoot good ammo it will be fine inside of 50 yards which is where they are designed to shoot..

Comment

I clean it every time I shoot my .22. This may be a bit obsessive compulsive but I don't like to put away a dirty gun- whatever caliber. Besides just a touch of OCD is a good thing with firearms.

Comment

I wipe them down after every time they are used but probably only clean the barrels about every 500-1000 rounds. I have some that are over 50 years old that shoot as well or better than the newer ones.

Comment

wills,
                Clean your 22 as you like but do not use a barrel brush, as in the bristle type! The 22 does not need that type of cleaning and accuracy will only be ruined until another 500 rounds can be put through it. Scrubbing a 22 rifle or hand gun barrel is disastrous. If you think your barrel has gotten dust or moisture in it then use a swab of hoppe's #9. No bristle brush ever in a 22.

Comment

I have a Marlin .22 rifle that has been cleaned after every use for at least 50+ years ... it was my mom's. Very accurate. I picked up a Winchester Model 52 a few years back that looked like the barrel was lead lined - also very accurate, so I left it be. Go figure.

Comment

Check out this link:

http://yarchive.net/gun/barrel/22_clean.html

Comment

I know this is going to sound really dumb but I don't clean it very often. The reason is I don't shoot it too much, mabey 20 or 30 rounds here and there.

Comment

I clean mine about every third time I use it, It only takes a few minutes to wipe the action down and swab out the barrel.

Comment

A couple times a year depending on usage, just a bore snake and a little hoppes on the bolt actions, I take apart the 10/22 actions as needed to remove fouling.

Comment

I give mine a quick clean after each use but only strip it down about once a year.

Comment

about every 200-300 rounds. Or every time I take it out in the snow or rain.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Pistol shooting form.
                                by DakotaMan
                                I never tried that one 99, You learn something every day....
                                Today, 01:20 AM
                              • Reply to Hunting pants?
                                by PigHunter
                                I wear cotton all winter. In Central Alabama we rarely get snow and have relatively mild temps. I won't hunt if it's below 20 degF. A camo poncho is what...
                                Today, 01:17 AM
                              • Hunting pants?
                                by fitch270
                                This one came to mind as I replied to PigHunter's thread up top about "What's on your belt?". I started drifting but decided it might be worth...
                                Yesterday, 10:22 PM
                              • Reply to Hunting pants?
                                by DakotaMan
                                I usually wear a loose fitting pair of fairly heavy camo pants and a camo shirt for the season from short sleeve cotton to heavy wool. If it gets colder,...
                                Today, 01:13 AM
                              • Reply to What's on your belt?
                                by DakotaMan
                                I always have the knife, sometimes the old Ruger Single Six. ...
                                Today, 01:05 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X