Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what do you all think of buckshot for deer? where do you aim? my budy use's it and aims for the head on does (he doesn't use it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do you all think of buckshot for deer? where do you aim? my budy use's it and aims for the head on does (he doesn't use it

what do you all think of buckshot for deer? where do you aim? my budy use's it and aims for the head on does (he doesn't use it on bucks)

If your shotgun shoots a good pattern with the load your shooting, then I say use it at the range you pattern it. #4 Buck I find works best for a chest shot.

Comment

I think slugs are way more effective in using a shotgun on whitetail.

Comment

If you you use buck shot i would say js twait till the deer is in range and aim for the chest. I head is a smaller target and harder to hit then the chest.

Comment

Slugs are more effective in the open, but if you are in heavy brush, or swamp it can be quite effective. I know some guys that hunt in somewhat thick terrain and they load thier smoothbore shotguns with a slug 1st and the rest buckshot. It seems to work for them.

Comment

I do not like buckshot for anything. If you are shooting a shotgun use a slug!

Comment

buck shot's great I've only used it for coyote but i have uncles that have shot deer and bear(300 pounders) with it

Comment

The first few deer I harvested where with buckshot from a 20ga 870. Aim the same as if your where shooting slugs or a rifle. While some people may not like buckshot, there is a time and a place for it, such as thick brush. Also in Virginia there are certain counties where you can not use rifles, or slugs for that matter, so your only choice is to use buckshot. It is just as effective in taking down deer as a slug, the only drawback is the deer needs to be under 70 yards.

Comment

I only use slugs on deer, but i do use buck shot for coyote and I keep some with my shotgun at home just in case.

Comment

If I were going to hunt deer with Buckshot (not)I would use 00 or 000 and aim for the center of the chest. Limit your shots to 40 yds. Use slugs

Comment

I don't like buckshot for deer, I've shot OO and #4 can't tell much difference I've had to use follow up shots or slit the throughts of any that I've shot with it.

Comment

Buckshot needs a name change. Coyoteshot. Pissedoffleopardshot. Burglarshot. Insurgentshot. Anything but buckshot.

Comment

i agree with Shane, shoot anything besides a deer with it.

Comment

Don't use buckshot on deer! Save it for things thst go "bump" in the night.

Comment

I like Shane's answer.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to lightfoot lindsey graham
                                by jhjimbo
                                Jack and Mike are comming to D.C. tomorrow.
                                Obama investigation and related investigations is being quarterbacked by Barr.

Congratulations...
                                Today, 11:58 AM
                              • lightfoot lindsey graham
                                by crm3006
                                Fox’s Lou Dobbs slams Lindsey Graham, ‘betrayed the American people’

October 24, 2020

Fox Business’ Lou Dobbs had some harsh...
                                Yesterday, 08:19 AM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                Best way to take the heat off AR type rifles is to show more pictures of AR's with game taken in various hunting articles, show more AR's in the hands...
                                Today, 11:51 AM
                              • Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                                Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                              • Reply to biden corruption! This is some serious stuff.
                                by crm3006
                                "So SANTA is fake"

Oh ye of little faith, and an overload of cynicism! Santa exists, and is proven to exist, every Christmas! Santa...
                                Today, 11:32 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X