Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When hanging a hang-on treestand, what kind of steps do you prefer to use? Tree Steps (where legal of course), or climbing stic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• doubled
    replied
    I prefer "inline" sticks, not the ones that you stagger. This way all your weight is supported to the ground, and not relying on straps only. I also use ONLY ratchet straps to secure to tree. They hold much more secure,because they can be tightened tighter and much more safely. Sometimes "yanking" on the other type of straps while 20 feet in the air just makes me feel unsafe!

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Climbing Sticks for me!!!

Leave a comment:

• Big C
    replied
    I prefer the screw in steps. The sticks might be easier to climb, but I think they are easier to steal as well.

Leave a comment:

• hjohn429
    replied
    I prefer to use climbing stick for a few reasons. They are stronger, safer, and they don't hurt the tree so much.

Leave a comment:

• choveln
    replied
    I like sticks. The screw in steps aren't reliable in my opinion. You WILL have more difficulty getting into a stand using screw in's. Sticks are much more safer.

Leave a comment:

• gman3186
    replied
    we use spikes just like tree climbers do with the belt the spikes strapped to your feet then you dont have to worry about people getting in your stand unless they have spikes

Leave a comment:

• jbird
    replied
    I trust a step that I can anchor in the tree much more than the "strap-on" ladder sections I bought. Those things work great, but @ least one section always "shifts" a bit while I'm climbing up or down, causing me to lose bladder control for a split second. The key w/ screw in steps is to get enough, too many people space them too far apart, where if you buy just a few more, you can easily get up and down the tree w/o searching or stretching for the next step.

Leave a comment:

• shedantlers
    replied
    I'm afraid of heights but the sticks work great, even by myself. I don't trust the steps.

Leave a comment:

• Vic
    replied
    Sticks, but make sure they are the ones that are inclosed. A friend has fallen out of his tree and having external steps nearly killed him. Same with screw ins. If one catches you in the ribs while falling, it will open you up like a tuna.

Vic

Leave a comment:

• oreo
    replied
    i like tree sticks. i think the tree sticks are safer because they cant break as easy.

Leave a comment:

• MLH
    replied
    Hang on tree steps or climbing sticks. Sticks are much easier and faster to put up but heavier to carry.

Leave a comment:

• wallofsam
    replied
    I was a treestep guy for years untill I tried the climbing sticks, I'll never go back.

Leave a comment:

• hjohn429
    replied
    climbing stick seem safer, though harder to set up youself.

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    climbing sticks

Leave a comment:

• usmcturkey
    replied
    Steps for sure I know of at least one time when one of the screw-in steps has failed in the same hunting season.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad