Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When hanging a hang-on treestand, what kind of steps do you prefer to use? Tree Steps (where legal of course), or climbing stic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When hanging a hang-on treestand, what kind of steps do you prefer to use? Tree Steps (where legal of course), or climbing stic

When hanging a hang-on treestand, what kind of steps do you prefer to use? Tree Steps (where legal of course), or climbing sticks? Which do you feel are safer?

The screw in steps are a pain to screw in, and after a couple years i question their safety too. The strap on sticks are great, provided you take them down after the season so the weather and squirrels don't get to them.

Comment

tree steps are easier, but sticks are safer to use

Comment

Steps for sure I know of at least one time when one of the screw-in steps has failed in the same hunting season.

Comment

climbing sticks

Comment

climbing stick seem safer, though harder to set up youself.

Comment

I was a treestep guy for years untill I tried the climbing sticks, I'll never go back.

Comment

Hang on tree steps or climbing sticks. Sticks are much easier and faster to put up but heavier to carry.

Comment

i like tree sticks. i think the tree sticks are safer because they cant break as easy.

Comment

Sticks, but make sure they are the ones that are inclosed. A friend has fallen out of his tree and having external steps nearly killed him. Same with screw ins. If one catches you in the ribs while falling, it will open you up like a tuna.

Vic

Comment

I'm afraid of heights but the sticks work great, even by myself. I don't trust the steps.

Comment

I trust a step that I can anchor in the tree much more than the "strap-on" ladder sections I bought. Those things work great, but @ least one section always "shifts" a bit while I'm climbing up or down, causing me to lose bladder control for a split second. The key w/ screw in steps is to get enough, too many people space them too far apart, where if you buy just a few more, you can easily get up and down the tree w/o searching or stretching for the next step.

Comment

we use spikes just like tree climbers do with the belt the spikes strapped to your feet then you dont have to worry about people getting in your stand unless they have spikes

Comment

I like sticks. The screw in steps aren't reliable in my opinion. You WILL have more difficulty getting into a stand using screw in's. Sticks are much more safer.

Comment

I prefer to use climbing stick for a few reasons. They are stronger, safer, and they don't hurt the tree so much.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad