Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

will a rem. 870 wingmaster accurtly shoot slugs? how far?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will a rem. 870 wingmaster accurtly shoot slugs? how far?

will a rem. 870 wingmaster accurtly shoot slugs? how far?

It depends on the gun/slugs. Some shoot well together, some don't.

I harvested my first buck with my 870 super mag, IC choke and the cheapest slugs I could find (Remingtons). The buck was about 70 yards away and I only had the bead for sights. Looking back I think it was more a blessing then skill on my part/gun and load.

Comment

An 870 Wingmaster will absolutly accurately shoot a slug. You can purchase a rifle slug barrel for it, or get the rifled slugs for a smooth bore barrel. Depending on how old your barrel is, I would consider contacting Remington to see if your barrel is suitable for shooting slugs. Your effective range should be about 100 yds., although with the slugs and slug barrels they make know it may be further depending on what types you use. Test out different slugs to see what are most accurate with your gun. Hope this helps.

Comment

thanks alot guys

Comment

Depends on the choke constriction of the barrel. If it is a modified or full choke accuracy will suffer and with certain slugs you could have a dangerous situation. The effective range of the foster type (rifled lead) slug is 100 yards or less. With a typical bead sight on the end of the barrel anything past 40 is risky and more luck than skill.

The nice thing about the old 870 is that there are tons of new and used slug barrels available, some with rifle sights and some with cantelever scope mounts. I see used slug barrels with rifle sights available all the time for $100 or less.

Comment

Will,

The above is good advice. You should be sure the barrel is improved cylinder for the most accurate choke.

The maximum effective range for a skilled shooter will be a 100yds. You'll have to decide how skilled you are.

I'm not sure what barrel you have and with what sights but in most whitetail situations scopes are unnecessary and in a hunting situation are less accurate than open sights. Just my 2 cents

Comment

I have a Rem.870 wingmaster and have a slug barrel with it. I feel you shoot a little over a 100 yards and hit lungs with copper solids (Remington also).

Comment

i love my wingmaster.

Comment

Yes it will.

Comment

Yes it will!

Comment

Yes it will!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to More Bad News....
                        by jhjimbo
                        So sorry for your loss....
                        Today, 10:40 AM
                      • More Bad News....
                        by WA Mtnhunter
                        My 13+ year old Black Lab is still plugging along. Not sure how much or if he will hunt this fall. The real bad news is that my 8-year old Lab, Scout,...
                        07-19-2020, 12:00 PM
                      • Reply to More Bad News....
                        by Amflyer
                        Thanks for letting us know. There's no words. Sometimes I wonder if what's between humans and dogs may be the perfect bond, at least in this existence....
                        Today, 10:26 AM
                      • Reply to 16 Years
                        by Ontario Honker Hunter
                        "... not a racist except in that I support the white condition without being a nazi or white supremacy nut." So you are a racist, just not a...
                        Today, 09:38 AM
                      • 16 Years
                        by jhjimbo
                        So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                        Yesterday, 09:20 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X